diy solar

diy solar

DC system to power Starlink (blowing fuses though)

demuro1

Hello, I am working on a diy project installing a solar array to power a starlink satellite for internet use. The entire project is dc.

I am running Solar panels into a renogy charge controller which connects to two 24v batteries in parallel for storage. The batteries initially connected to this 24V-48V (240W) step up converter. The wattage was double what I need and I blew up the dishypowa board I was trying to power (It's been a minute since I have done anything like this and I did not use any fuses the first time I turned the system on). I subsequently bought this 24V-48V dc-dc step up converted with a 3 amp max output and used a 250V 4 Amp quick blow fuse.

I keep blowing fuses and I don’t know what to do. My power needs are 48V @ 120 W (2.5A). | believe I have the voltage. Testing with a dmm I see 48 volts. I think the issue is current. So how do I limit current without affecting voltage. I have read about JFTs and NTC's but am unsure how to size/ spec them to get the right one to meet my power needs. I need to limit current from the in column to the out in the attached table.

I would appreciate any help you can offer. If you have a better recommendation for the dc-de step up converter, or anything downstream from the batteries I welcome that feedback too.

measured unitInHave outNeed out
Voltage (V)244848
Current (A)Unk5 or 32.5
Power/wattage(W)
Unk240 or 144120

Last edited:
It requires 2.5A. As ong as your power supply can provide that, you're fine. You could use a power supply capable of 20A and not blow anything up. Power supplies do not push current, loads pull current.

If your voltage matches but you're blowing stuff up, you may have a short or maybe reversed polarity.

At the Dishypowa site it states it takes up to 180w at 56vDC. It does say it can run on 48v and 100w but can need higher wattage during startup and other situations. Your power supply and fuses will need to handle that.

If you read the PSU page at their website they specifically talk about problems with DC to DC converters and have none that they recommend yet.

At the Dishypowa site it states it takes up to 180w at 56vDC. It does say it can run on 48v and 100w but can need higher wattage during startup and other situations. Your power supply and fuses will need to handle that.

If you read the PSU page at their website they specifically talk about problems with DC to DC converters and have none that they recommend yet.

that’s for the older circular dish

that’s for the older circular dish
Dishypowa website makes no mention of that in the PSU area on on their Home page. All I did was read what they have on their site. I agree that they have a draft revision (https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7q9ijdbuetgivv/DishyPowa Rev 1.02 Datasheet (draft v1).pdf?dl=0) that states the square dish uses less wattage but it does state
Requirements-SquareDishy-120W48VDCPowerSupplyMinimum, Dishywill Consume100W duringbootup,SkyScan,FirmwareUpdates&InSnowMeltMode.-For12Vsetups a HighQuality, HighPerformance 12V>48V supply is required,Dishy's load will fluctuate/spikerapidly, some boost converters will not work without additional output smoothingcapacitors.(Recommend&Tested PSU list will be published on DishyPowa.com)

How picky is the Starlink for voltage regulation? Rewire the system for 48V since you already have the compatible batteries and SCC. I run 48V on my solar golf cart.

Back