diy solar

diy solar

Small system to power starlink and cameras off grid

prestonmcafee

I have am off grid cabin north of Utica, NY that I can't reach from around Dec 1 to May 1. It gets very cold, so I shut off the inverter when I leave for the season.

I'm seeking to power starlink and 2 trail cameras over the winter when I'm not present. Together these draw about 35 watts average, with 100w peak according to killawatt. I have a root cellar for the equipment, which should stay above 40°f.

The key feature I want is that if the battery gets low, the system shuts off power to protect the battery, and when the battery is recharged, it restart power automatically. (Starlink and the cameras will come back up.) Ideally I can set it to quit supplying power at 20% charge and restart power at 75% or similar. The second consideration is cost. I don't mind if the power goes off every day, as long as it comes back up once the battery is recharged.

Passthrough would also be helpful but not absolutely necessary.

I have a 200w panel already, that I use to charge a jackery and would repurpose for this task. What equipment do I need?

ACg8ocJRFMcAEmtNLFyDYan8IKb6RXzBUXw3MmD9Cw9jXlwGEvWEPQ=s80-p
ReplyForward

Explore the links in line 1 of my signature. Use PVWatts to model the solar hours at your array's exact location. These numbers assume uninterrupted solar exposure from sunrise to sunset with no shading of any kind. If you have shading issues. You will need to compensate for that. You can download hourly data to better estimate your insolation, e.g, if you have sun only from 10am-2pm, you could edit the file and only use the data for that period. It would require some basic spreadsheet knowledge.

Then do the energy audit, and don't forget to include the inverter idle draw as well as allowing for dishy to run its heater. Use the worst case situation for your insolation.

Once the energy audit is completed, the system basically designs itself.

Thank you! I apologize for not being clear. I am powering <50W. The key feature is that it is unattended and storms mean that sometimes the system will shut down power output to protect the battery. Once solar power is restored and the battery charges, I need the system to restart power output without human intervention.

My regular solar system does this (I have it set to shut off at 20% and restart at 50%) but I have to shut this 19.2KWh system down for the winter due to cold; I'm looking for a smaller system (e.g. milk crate) that I can put in the root cellar and keep running while unattended.

Back