diy solar

diy solar

Design Advice?

csp99

Brand new to this stuff and I've spent I don't know how many hours on reading & videos (Will's are great) going down endless rabbit holes, had an electrician out to poke around and answer a couple questions, and I'm still a little stumped on how best to redesign the setup at our cabin. Maybe someone out there can fill in a couple blanks for me?

System was in place when we bought the property last year. It's a 400w (parallel) 12v system with 4x 6v batteries in series parallel, a 40a MPPT controller, and an 1100w inverter. The last owner did a bunch of wiring; lights and phone chargers and such. (And, my apologies, but I can't for the life of me remember if that is exclusively from the load side of the controller, or if there is something coming directly off the batteries as well...?)
It's all been working well until we added Starlink, now it can't keep up. (Posted a message on that yesterday, thanks to the guys who helped to shed light on exactly why that is.) I guess my main hang-up is how to modify this to get the most power out of the system with the least amount of monkeying around. I'd rather not pull apart the last guys wiring to those lights and chargers, if I can help it. Does that mean staying with 12v batteries?

All I'd really like to be able to power is Starlink (50w) as long as possible, a couple of PoE access points (50w? (25x2)) 24/7, the inverter (50w?) 24/7, and those LED lights and phone chargers occasionally.
I expect to buy new panels and I don't mind getting a new controller if that's required. Would prefer to wait on batteries until next year.
Panels are south facing and shade is not an issue. Space is not a huge concern, either; I have enough for 5 at the moment but I can build something to hold more, if needed.

I thought perhaps a 60a controller with 5x 200w panels in parallel and leaving the batteries as-is, but I'd hate to find out later that I missed an opportunity to do something much better because I didn't ask the question.

How many loads are wired 12vDC and how many are wired 120vAC? If you can make it just one or the other it simplifies things. 12vDC loads suffer the fewest conversion losses but are limited in power and have wiring considerations due to amp draw and voltage drop with distance.

Keep in mind always Watts = Volts times Amps

For instance your proposed 1000w worth of panels. At 12vDC that is 83.33a at full rated output (1000w/12vDC=83.33a). If you only have a 60a SCC it will max out at 720w- 850w from the panels depending on charge voltage.

Watt-hours are watts delivered over an hours time.

I thought perhaps a 60a controller with 5x 200w panels in parallel and leaving the batteries as-is, but I'd hate to find out later that I missed an opportunity to do something much better because I didn't ask the question.

What charge controller is it pls , and do you have the specs of the panel

With a 60amp charge controller:
60amp X 12v = 720w max ,

So with 5x200w panel (1000w total) you'll be 'clipping' 280w.

And overpanelling your charger controller, usually ok , sometimes an issue, depends on your charge controller

How many loads are wired 12vDC and how many are wired 120vAC? If you can make it just one or the other it simplifies things. 12vDC loads suffer the fewest conversion losses but are limited in power and have wiring considerations due to amp draw and voltage drop with distance.

Keep in mind always Watts = Volts times Amps

For instance your proposed 1000w worth of panels. At 12vDC that is 83.33a at full rated output (1000w/12vDC=83.33a). If you only have a 60a SCC it will max out at 720w- 850w from the panels depending on charge voltage.

Watt-hours are watts delivered over an hours time.

I'm not sure on the 12vDC vs. 120vAC. ? I will check that out when I get back out there this weekend.

Good point on the panels overdoing it. I've been looking at specs for a few days and I had in my head the 24v max rather than the 12v.

What charge controller is it pls , and do you have the specs of the panel

With a 60amp charge controller:
60amp X 12v = 720w max ,

So with 5x200w panel (1000w total) you'll be 'clipping' 280w.

And overpanelling your charger controller, usually ok , sometimes an issue, depends on your charge controller

The current 40a is an Epever Tracer4210AN.
I don't have the specs of the panels, unfortunately. They are a mixed bag, as I recall, with 3 of the 4 being different brands.

Back