diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel advice

Harikoto

Hello.
I have a solar panel which I want to use to power a pond pump. This is what I have so far:

100W, 12V solar panel
12v 9Ah lead acid battery
50W, 12V pump
And a solar charge controller (12V, 10A).

The pump runs perfectly off the battery.
When I connect it all together on the controller, the controller shows a "short circuit" error.
What's going wrong? Is there too much charge? I can only assume I've got the wrong controller.

It's probable the motor start up current is higher than the current that the load terminals of the controller can provide. My guess is that you are using the load terminals to provide switched time periods or to prevent discharging the battery too low.
The system with a 100 watt panel and a small battery is only viable when you have solar. The most simple solution is a higher power controller, example,
Suggest something in the 50 or 60 amp range. If you select a low cost unit with a similar display and the three button controls you can pre program the voltage where the load disconnects and the voltage where the load reconnects. This stops the battery from discharging too low and allows a recharge before it reconnects.

Back