diy solar

diy solar

A little confused

stuffnjunk

I watched will's latest 12v video and got confused, because he was talking about installing a charge controller and an inverter for a 12v system.

I have a 5.5 gpm 12v dc pump on my work trailer I use for spraying chemicals. I have a regular battery for it, but decided since I am going to go with solar for the house(eventually), let me do solar for the trailer too. So I bought a cheap (if you can call it that) 150ah battery. My plan was just to install a cheap 100w panel on the trailer, connect a 20amp charge controller, and run it to the battery to help keep it topped off. The 12v dc pump is not used daily, but it will be on the trailer going over bumps, and everything will be enclosed (battery, pump, charge controller and most of the wiring). No, I am not enclosing the panel :)

So that I am clear, I don't need an inverter for this do I? I am not using ac or dc power to power anything else. If I need power for anything else I bring a genny or the customer supplies power from the house per the estimate/contract. If I bring a genny, the customer pays for that per the contract.

With your pump being DC, you wouldn't need an inverter unless you know for sure you would need to power an AC device. I would add a small fuse box (there are some four-slot boxes on China-zon) in case the pump should pull more than what it's rated for.

With your pump being DC, you wouldn't need an inverter unless you know for sure you would need to power an AC device. I would add a small fuse box (there are some four-slot boxes on China-zon) in case the pump should pull more than what it's rated for.
First of all let me thank you for posting that question in the other section about the wires and connections. Very informative.

Since I am running a battery, inline fuse, relay - switch, pump, do you still think the fuse box is needed? I was thinking of adding a disconnect/breaker between the controller and the battery.

So I am guessing my confusion comes from the term 12v system. I'm not installing a system, just a battery charger.

I wired a battery shut off switch in between my battery and DC fuse block. With an inline fuse you don't need a fuse block unless you plan to add something else.

Since I am running a battery, inline fuse, relay - switch, pump, do you still think the fuse box is needed? I was thinking of adding a disconnect/breaker between the controller and the battery.
Nope, an inline fuse does the same job as a fuse box. You won't need to add one to your build. Although a disconnect switch is always a good thing to have in there.

Back