diy solar

diy solar

Swapping old batteries for new!

CharlieBB

Bought 2nd-hand camper trailer last year with "professionally" installed solar system. Am replacing the batteries with new batteries. Not changing anything else about the system.

Here are the Victron components we have:

MPPT 150/100
BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor
Cerbo-S Gx Basic Version
Orion DC/DC Converter 24/12
Quattro 24/5000/120
Old Batteries - 16- EVE LifePo4 3.2v 310ah.

Replacing them with:

2-LiTime 24v 230ah batteries
(They arrived with 26.1v charge each)

They are all connected except for pos and neg to trailer. (waiting until I am sure of next step.)

Seeking someone familiar with Quattro settings to come check our settings and advise/suggest what to do next and the sequence. Don't want to flip the switch until we are sure.

Willing to compensate for time and travel within San Jose, CA area. Just need second set of eyes.

Photos available.

Need a.s.a.p.

Last edited:
My phone is not taking photos that are compatible with the forum, I will have to convert photos to a format the forum accepts. Local power failure at this time so can't use my desktop computer at the moment.

And I didn't call it an upgrade, only that I am swapping them, it is a necessity.

Thank you.

I see.
So if everything is ready to go I would triple check your wiring to ensure polarity is correct then precharge the inverter before completing the circuit.

Tagging @sunshine_eggo since he's a Victron guru.

Triple, quadruple, etc., checking. I know just enough to be dangerous.

My Quattro has been running all the time while I am on shore power. Not sure what you mean by pre-charging. Please explain.

Last edited:
My Quattro has been running all the time while I am on shore power. Not sure what you mean by pre-charging. Please explain.
You need to pre-charge the capacitors, I don't think running in pass through will do that.

These should help.

My phone is not taking photos that are compatible with the forum, I will have to convert photos to a format the forum accepts. Local power failure at this time so can't use my desktop computer at the moment.

And I didn't call it an upgrade, only that I am swapping them, it is a necessity.

Thank you.
Text the photos to yourself. Then save and uploade the saved photo.
Texting reduces the pixel count, making it compatible with the server.

I guess your cells got overly depleted, and bulged.
We would love to see the failed system, and maybe even buy the discarded equipment!
Our member for sale forum is great for this.

I am trying that with photos... our local power is still off. They now say 8pm. The "sending just seems to be hung up! I may have to try again tomorrow when local power is up again.

I am trying to keep my phone alive with only 36% charge left on my Jackery, and a couple Ryobi power packs and a Ryobi flashlight with a USB port. Phone at 43% now. I cab go run the truck and charge phone out there, but I most likely will just go to sleep instead.

Old EVE cells gave already been given to another forum member who helped me earlier this year!

Thank you.

We would love to see the failed system, and maybe even buy the discarded equipment!

I will try that with photos... our local power is still off. They now say 8pm. I am trying to keep my phone alive with only 36% charge left on my Jackery, and a couple Ryobi power packs and a Ryobi flashlight with a USB port. Phone at 43% now. I cab go run the truck and charge phone out there, but I most likely will just go to sleep instead.

Old EVE cells have already been given to another forum member who helped me earlier this year!

Thank you.

Last edited:

Got one!

Attachments

• 116531.jpeg
    116531.jpeg
    402.7 KB · Views: 15
I am trying that with photos... our local power is still off. They now say 8pm. The "sending just seems to be hung up! I may have to try again tomorrow when local power is up again.

I am trying to keep my phone alive with only 36% charge left on my Jackery, and a couple Ryobi power packs and a Ryobi flashlight with a USB port. Phone at 43% now. I cab go run the truck and charge phone out there, but I most likely will just go to sleep instead.

Old EVE cells gave already been given to another forum member who helped me earlier this year!

Thank you.

I will try that with photos... our local power is still off. They now say 8pm. I am trying to keep my phone alive with only 36% charge left on my Jackery, and a couple Ryobi power packs and a Ryobi flashlight with a USB port. Phone at 43% now. I cab go run the truck and charge phone out there, but I most likely will just go to sleep instead.

Old EVE cells have already been given to another forum member who helped me earlier this year!

Thank you.
Found the other two.

Thanks.

You need to pre-charge the capacitors, I don't think running in pass through will do that.

These should help.

I think maybe the capacitors remain charged any time the inverter is powering loads. At least, I have not ever used a precharge on my MultiPlus, and I have disconnected the batteries a couple of times while the inverter is running on grid or generator power.

I think maybe the capacitors remain charged any time the inverter is powering loads. At least, I have not ever used a precharge on my MultiPlus, and I have disconnected the batteries a couple of times while the inverter is running on grid or generator power.
I thought so.

I'm confused about your old batteries. 18 cells? 16 would be more typical for two 8s packs. If you had 9s packs you charge settings will be 3.2 volts higher than your new batteries need.

Also, what was wrong with the old batteries? For sale?

Back