diy solar

diy solar

Replacing EVE lifePO4 3.2v 310ah, need advice.

CharlieBB

Bought 2nd hand camper with Victron components and working power system. I am an elder math-challenged solo grandma needing guidance and maybe a little physical assistance in upgrading my battery bank, a.s.a.p.

I am thinking of buying 2 of the Epoch 12v 460Ah LiFePO4 Batteries. I have 1680 kWh of solar. I had 16 x 3.2v 310 ah of the old batteries, EVE LifePo4 3.2v, 310Ah. Long story, but they have been removed.

If I did math right, new ones will give me about 1200 kWh. That might meet my needs, though i had 1680 before.

(I do have a ground deployed panel, plus a Jackery, plus a generator to supplement.)

I am mocking up a box to see if the Epochs will fit the space available. Hope to order today (2/26/24).

Will Prose give the Epoch a really good review.

I intend this to be my last house battery purchase forever! At 97 lbs ea, sure don't want to move them more than once.

Can anyone help me in San Jose, CA area?

Bit too many or not enough zeros, old battery was about 16 kWh or 16000 Wh and new one 12 kWh or 12000 Wh. Similarly your solar array size doesn’t match up, possibly 1.68 kW or 16.8 kW?

Someone else have to step up with the actual help, I’m located on the other side of earth.

Last edited:
1.68kW of Solar (no "h").
Old batteries: 4 of 12.8v x 310ah, or 1,240 ah of 12.8v batteries. 15.9 kWh, 9.5+ hours of full sun to recharge at 1.68kW.
New batteries: 2 of 12.8v x 460ah, or 920 ah of 12.8v batteries. 11.8 kWh, 7.0+ hours of full sun to recharge at 1.68kW.

If you load is more than 6 kWh per day, you probably were not fully recharging your old batteries, nor will you be able to fully charge your new batteries.

If your load averaged about 4kWh per day, your panels may keep up, and once fully charged, the old battery could give 3+ days of power during bad weather, and the new battery 2+ days. Once depleted, it would take a week to fully recharge your batteries.

If you were running your batteries down to 0% on a frequent basis, and not fully recharging, that may be the reason you had to replace your old EVE batteries. Solve that problem before you wear down your new battery.

Back