diy solar

diy solar

Design review request. Any help, suggestions, thoughts or ridicule welcome...

Sprks

This is a 3rd stage preliminary drawing overview. Ive posted previously regarding portions of this, but now realize a bigger picture would facilitate moving forward. I am an accomplished DIY'er yet this is my first electrical challenge. To get to this point has taken me a tremendous amount of time schooling up... including learning a flowchart program (Lucidchart) FAR more than anticipated. BUT, despite wanting to get it done i truly want to get it right.

Pleas keep in mind ive left out cable sizes, fuse sizes etc for now.

Having read many similar postings, i see that what often happens is the first person to reply sets a "tone" and others often don't want to offer contrary or conflicting advice. The thread gets hijacked or eventually buried. I really do need some help with this, so if you're reluctant to do so publicly please feel free to PM me. Also, i am willing to pay an experienced person for some "consultation", so please PM me if you can. Honestly the more input i can get the better.

Some "firm non changeable's" 24V, battery is already built, Orions mounted in engine bay, 12V system already installed. Ive already purchased most of the components in the drawing.

I planned to use the Electrodacus SBMS0 originally (and may yet if its ever available) but for now its the 100a Overkill BMS. It may prove adequate for my eventual 120V loads but its kinda marginal...

Here's the drawing with some specific questions/concerns following

Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.56.06 AM.png

I was surprised by how involved the Orion's were, especially the numerous fuses. Did i over complicate this area?
Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 9.56.36 AM.png
What about these lug/post/connectors, especially for the MPPT's/Orions? Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 10.22.06 AM.pngor should i use?Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 12.48.21 PM.png
bused together?

Can i use this MidniteSolar (or sim) for the main panel instead of the BluSeas?Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 2.15.22 PM.png

Please offer up ANY suggestions, thoughts, ideas. This forum has been great help. Thank you!

Last edited:
Sorry, but I'm the first guy to reply again.

You're not protecting the wire on the output side of the MPPT.

Consider adding a ground bus bar. The two MPPT and the Multiplus will all have a ground connection. For me, it was easier to run one line to the chassis from the ground bus bar. Other devices may also need a ground connection.

The Multiplus supports two cables for each DC connection. Two on the positive and two on the negative. I chose to use both and I'm a bit over-cabled. Better over than under.

Why are you using single post studs to combine the wires from the MPPT?

FWIW, the power cable for the Cerbo GX has it's own inline fuse. So it could be connected to either the 12 volt or 24 volt panel instead of the Lynx. If you plan to enable/disable the 12 volt system, then putting the Cerbo GX on the 24 volt panel makes more sense.

Sorry, but I'm the first guy to reply again.
Very pleased to get your reply...
You're not protecting the wire on the output side of the MPPT.
I have not seen fuses on MPPT outputs in other drawings.... ? But I will add a small MIDI box (or suggestions?) like the ones on the DC-DC circuits, and eliminate the post stud.
Consider adding a ground bus bar. The two MPPT and the Multiplus will all have a ground connection. For me, it was easier to run one line to the chassis from the ground bus bar. Other devices may also need a ground connection.
Yes, as soon as i posted this drawing it became clear that's what i should do.
Why are you using single post studs to combine the wires from the MPPT?
LYNX has limits of 4 MEGA fuses, smallest of 40amps.

I will be reworking my drawing and will post here soon. Thank you!

Last edited:
You can stack lugs on a single link terminal. Make the lugs face each other. I've seen it done that way. I don't use the Lynx system however.

For maintenance purposes, a circuit breaker is better to use immediately downstream of the MPPT than is a fuse. If I need to work on the MPPT I just flip the breaker. In 20 months of production, I've had to flip the breaker about five times. Once to replace the breaker between the PV and the MPPT (wrong breaker), the rest of the time I was either moving the MPPT or working on that part of the system.

Back