diy solar

diy solar

Diagnose Short damage across (2) 24v BB Hawks

Jersey480

When running some tests on two of my Big Battery 24v 170Ah an accidental short condition occurred across both packs in series (48v). I heard a pop and smelled a bit of that toasted electronics smell. I disconnected the batteries within 2 secs and opened up the fuse cover assuming one or both had been fried but they both look intact with continuity measured across them.

Both packs now display their voltages on the front screen even with the on/off switch turned off. Before the short, both packs were at full charge (27-28v) and after the incident both packs’ displays dropped to 18v or so and then began rising back up. Now one displays 26.3v while the other shows 22.7v and they seem to have leveled off there. I am hoping that the BMS detected the short and shut off power and is now slowly bringing the packs back up but I’m concerned about the extent of any further damage to the BMS or even the cells.

Voltage measured before the BMS is 25.9v and 25.8v. Voltage after the BMS is 25.5v and 21.1v respectively. Power can be measured from the Anderson connector with the switch in the on and off position, which tells me something with the BMS is not right.

I won’t be able to contact BB until after the holiday weekend but I also don’t know if I should leave the packs at their current state of charge of if I should put them on the charger for any reason. As I said the packs’ voltage display remains on even though the switches are turned off, much like if charging power was supplied to the contacts.

Any help welcomed.

Back