diy solar

diy solar

DIY install of a solar charge controller -- is it complicated?

Fenachrone

After many years with a trusty Outback MX-60, I am seeing the need for an updated charge controller.
My off-grid cabin is in a location with no professional solar support, and the only electrician versed in
solar is so busy he doesn't return calls. My original installer (15 years ago) is nowhere to be found.

Being pretty handy with lots of DIY home wiring, I'm just curious as to how difficult it is to install one of these.
Short of my not being able to do it, I would like to at least give the electrician some sense of what he's looking
at.

There are two wires to the battery and two wires to the solar. It isn't too bad as long as you don't swap the wires around into incorrect positions.

Is your Outback dead? What are you looking to gain by updating?

There are two wires to the battery and two wires to the solar. It isn't too bad as long as you don't swap the wires around into incorrect positions.

Is your Outback dead? What are you looking to gain by updating?
Nope, working just fine. I just get concerned after all these years, with it left on non-stop, that it's reaching a failure point. The other reason is
I'm upgrading my solar array and may be exceeding the capacity of this one.

The biggest issue is to get polarity correct. No second chances.
Second is to not exceed the maximum input voltage.

If the expansion is significant consider a separate array and controller to charge the battery in addition to the existing system. Yes multiple controllers can operate together. This will also reduce the possibility of no power if either controller fails unexpectedly.

Reactions: JRH
I think I'd add a 2nd outback and design within their parameters. Gives you 2 very reliable SCCs in case of failure. A lot of the other stuff out there right now just isn't designed on the level of Outback, Midnite and Schneider

I'm not an installer, but do have quite a bit of DIY solar experience. Just swapped out an MX60 with an FM80 for a friend of mine. The swapping out of the units is very simple. All the mounting screws for the FM80 match the MX60. All you have to do is turn off the breakers and make sure there is no power, label the wires, take a photo with your phone for reference, disconnect them, swap the units and re-install the wires. HOWEVER: Check to see if any wires to other electrical panels, etc. run through the charge controller. In our case whoever installed the MX60 ran the AC out to the sub-panel and the AC in from the generator through the charge controller on the way to the inverter. They drilled a hole in the right side of the charge controller for the wires to exit. This necessitated shutting down the entire system, removing all the AC out and AC in wiring, swapping out the controller, then reinstalling the AC wiring in a more user friendly configuration. Turned a simple project into a half day project. So yes it's easy....unless it isn't.

You will also have to know the charging parameters for you batteries and how to program the FM80. They can be copied off the MX60.

no-fuse-jpg.144991

The biggest issue is to get polarity correct. No second chances.
Second is to not exceed the maximum input voltage.

If the expansion is significant consider a separate array and controller to charge the battery in addition to the existing system. Yes multiple controllers can operate together. This will also reduce the possibility of no power if either controller fails unexpectedly.
Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I think I'd add a 2nd outback and design within their parameters. Gives you 2 very reliable SCCs in case of failure. A lot of the other stuff out there right now just isn't designed on the level of Outback, Midnite and Schneider
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not an installer, but do have quite a bit of DIY solar experience. Just swapped out an MX60 with an FM80 for a friend of mine. The swapping out of the units is very simple. All the mounting screws for the FM80 match the MX60. All you have to do is turn off the breakers and make sure there is no power, label the wires, take a photo with your phone for reference, disconnect them, swap the units and re-install the wires. HOWEVER: Check to see if any wires to other electrical panels, etc. run through the charge controller. In our case whoever installed the MX60 ran the AC out to the sub-panel and the AC in from the generator through the charge controller on the way to the inverter. They drilled a hole in the right side of the charge controller for the wires to exit. This necessitated shutting down the entire system, removing all the AC out and AC in wiring, swapping out the controller, then reinstalling the AC wiring in a more user friendly configuration. Turned a simple project into a half day project. So yes it's easy....unless it isn't.

You will also have to know the charging parameters for you batteries and how to program the FM80. They can be copied off the MX60.
Great information. Thanks much!

Back