diy solar

diy solar

DIY solar system question

riocom2004

Hello Will. I saw your video yesterday and I would like to know if you could help me out about a fuse I want to add on my solar system.
I made the calculations you instructed in the video and though that was a lot bigger than I would use.
My system has 2 x 180w panels (360 total) and 30a charger controller.
I have a 12v 100 AH littium battery and 10.000 volts inverter. My calculations was 10000/12= 833 amps fuse. Could I use 400 v fuse on It to be added between battery and inverter.
Thanks

This is my solar system I just need to know if I could use 400 w circuit breaker

Attachments

• Mine solar system.jpeg
    Mine solar system.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 4
You have a 3000 watt inverter.
3000 ac watts * 1.15 conversion factor / 12 volts = 287.5 dc amps
287.5 dc amps * 1.5 fuse factor = 431.25 dc amps.
Quality thermal breakers only go to 200 amps.
You will need a big class t fuse and a 4/0 wire.

BTW I don't usually answer threads that are aimed at Will.
Not sure why I did this time. :)

BTW that 100ah lifepo4 battery can not even come close to driving that inverter.
3 in parallel would work though.

I think its time to make some design compromises.

Last edited:
...12v 100 AH littium battery and 10.000 volts inverter. Could I use 400 v fuse on It to be added between battery and inverter....
Inverters are measured in watts and fuses in amps.
I've no idea what the "10.000" is. From the image, it looks like you have a 3,000 W inverter (aka 3kW).

At 12V, the most the inverter should normally pull is 3000W/12V = 250 amps. But it will surge to 6000 W from the specifications. From the AltE chart, a 400 amp fuse is what you want. Note that fuses protect the wires, so that assumes the wires are rated for that amperage (see What wire gauge should I use?).

Fuses are one time items, if it blows you'll need a replacement. While more expensive, some folks like DC circuit breakers for the convenience of being able to flip them back on, and if you go that way the AltE chart recommends a 250 amp breaker.

Last edited:
Thanks Joe. I understand. I am going to review everything you said. I really appreciate. :)

diy solar

diy solar
Back