diy solar

diy solar

Do I have to use those special connectors on the solar panel?

billfloat

solar ends plugs.jpgThe one who brought us our solar panel ( 275 watt, 31v, rated current 8.9amps) is planning to use the same sized one for his boat, which is sitting by his house, along with the same controller (20A-10A-Epever-MPPT-Solar-Charge-Controller-12V-24V-Battery-Regulator-Max-PV-60V). So, as I understand it, his panel is bigger sized than what he needs. Can he just cut off those special ends on the panel's cable and use thick cable 10AWG and make a good connection directly? Thanks

Yes he can. These are just the standard connectors on most panels and equipment, makes it easy to buy a thing and plug it in. MC4 connectors are water resistant which makes them ideal for exposed use. If I was going to I'd cut the plugs off the flyleads then join on there rather than trying to do it inside the connector box on the panel itself.

If he does cut the connectors off he may find it difficult to make a warranty claim down the track.

Good to know. The panel was made by a company that is now out of business, as I understand it, so the warranty is long gone I imagine. Thanks!

Back