diy solar

diy solar

Do i need optimizers for this setup?

colouny

Hello

I am trying to convince myself that i need optimizers (Tigo) for my solar setup. And would like your opinions and experiences with optimizers.
In total it ads around 1500€ , and i lost count how many times i was wrong with my wishes… i have everything purchased except optimizers. Alerady spent 5480€, thats for almost 15kw system. My goal would be to generate more 10k kw per year.

Anyway my setup will be:
Solplanet 15kw 3 phase inverter with 2 separate MPPT’s
17x Jinko Solar JKM430N-54HL4R-B panels facing south east, thats in series and 1st string.
17x Jinko Solar JKM440N-54HL4R-V panels facing south west, thats in series and is 2nd string

Shadowing is minimal as per PV*SOL estimate, but still they estimate almost 1/2 of 17 panels that are facing south east will be shaded.

Should i put optimizers on all panels, or only the ones that are likely to be shaded.
Or maybe i dont need them at all, since both sides are on separate MPPT’s and it will do just fine without them?

I have read too much about them, but the more i read the more get confused.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7690.jpeg
    IMG_7690.jpeg
    568.4 KB · Views: 14
  • PV*Sol estimate.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I have no idea what that tool is or how to interpret those numbers. Generally speaking, it doesn't look like you have much of a shade problem except for the roof protrusions.

Shade sucks. It will destroy production.

Optimizers make shade less shitty, but it's still shitty.

Optimizers only need to be placed on shaded panels.

well i was not able to understand how the software interpret shadowing. But the side with more shadows is facing south west, i think its 212 in numbers.

Thats a tuff call, but since half of the panels might be shaded, and i kinda like the idea of performance monitoring per panel i will probably choose to buy optimizers for all the panels.
Anyway thanks for input, that was probably all what i needed to make final decision.

Do you think this is a case where microinverters on each panel instead of string an inverter would work?

They might, but the price difference is pretty big.
And in this case i would export everything to grid for “storage”. This is easier solution due to utility company rules.

Do you think this is a case where microinverters on each panel instead of string an inverter would work?
Unless I'm mistaken, I don't know of any microinverters that produce 3phase power. most are 120 or 240 split phase aren't they?

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't know of any microinverters that produce 3phase power. most are 120 or 240 split phase aren't they?
Enphase IQ8MC is 3phase micro inverter. At least what ifound on enphase.com

Back