diy solar

diy solar

42 panels, 3 strings, but one is east + west. Optimizers?

Wilde

I have an east/west roof. 42 panels going into a Sol Ark 15k with 3 MPPT inputs. Plan is for all three strings to be 7s2p, but then one of the strings will have both east and west facing panels (10 east, 4 west). If I'm using optimizers (RSD at the panel is a requirement, so I need to use them), either the new Sol Ark 0900-80V or the Tigo TS4-A-O, would that mitigate the problem with having four panels on a different plane (facing west) than the other 10? Any advice would be appreciated.

More info: per Sol-Ark's 15k manual, each string can't be more than 6,500kw with 500v and 26a limits. The panels I'm using REC 420w, are 50v 8.4a each. If I split up the West facing panels (24) into two strings, then the 18 east facing panels would be too much for one MPPT input.

Tigo matches either 20% or 33% difference (can’t remember). 10 vs 4 is way too much for that.

New SolArk one — not enough specs are out on that, you’ll not get any help from DIY on this (and if you do please tag me, im very curious about this one).

It is more advanced than TIGO, if it is like SolarEdge then it would work but you have to bother SolArk for the manuals on how many you need on the string. You may need to install optimizers on the full string.

I think you can ask SolArk to see if the transmitter/monitoring modem is included for free on the new SolArk’s.

You are also going to be a testing Guinea pig for a bleeding edge SolArk product.

Other option is to install microinverters, for 4 of panels on the east and ac couple to the gen input. ( west 2x 6s2p, east 1x 7s2p & 4 on microinverters)

Great thing about microinverters is that you won’t be a Guinea pig/be stuck with proprietary MLPE. They’ll always at least be able to export to grid.

If you are fully off grid or utility mandated zero export on grid microinverters might have some issues.

For your config SolArk does say microinverters should be fine (you have more DC than AC) and the zero export will be managed by the SolArk. The multiport non Enphase microinverters are cost competitive with SolArk optimizers. I think HM1500 4 port 1500W costs a little over $300 (bought mine last year so I don’t know the current price).

Just noticed your location (SoCal). I don't think any of the POCOs would mind 1.5 kW-AC more export stacked on top of a zero export system.

And for interconnection approval you can just say "SolArk manual says it can achieve zero-export" and if it can't because of a bug, that's not really your problem. Maybe.

Just noticed your location (SoCal). I don't think any of the POCOs would mind 1.5 kW-AC more export stacked on top of a zero export system.

And for interconnection approval you can just say "SolArk manual says it can achieve zero-export" and if it can't because of a bug, that's not really your problem. Maybe.
I don't know of any utility that would accept "Not my problem" as a response, and drop it.

I don't know of any utility that would accept "Not my problem" as a response, and drop it.
Been a while since I posted this, but I think I meant, it's a UL listed unit with zero export, that is on the CEC list.

1.5kW net export is also very low in California terms.

With a 15k you actually have 6 inputs in those 3 MPPt’s, split the 4 odd facing panels off on their own and series string the remaining panels under the 6,500kw with 500v and 26a limits. No series string has to match another so the remaining 38 can be something like 2X 6p2s and one 7p2s like @pvgirl suggested

I have an interesting plan for this.

The Sol-Ark has 3 MPPT inputs.
You have 42 panels total with 18 facing east, and 24 facing west.
Split up the east roof into 3 series strings of 6 panels each.
Split up the west roof into 4 series strings of 6 panels.

Now you have a total of 7 stings coming down to the Sol-Ark.
Put two of the west facing strings in parallel on one MPPT controller. 12 panels at 300 volts x 16.8 amps = 5,040 watts in ideal sun.
Put one west string in parallel with one east string on the second MPPT controller. Same 300 volts, but the peak current will be less as the east panels will fall off as the west panels climb as you cross solar noon. With the 2 strings having the same panel count, they will current add pretty well. Separate MPPT's might do a little better, but not by a lot.

The third MPPT controller then gets the last west string and 2 east strings all in parallel. This will requite a fuse on the separate strings as 3 x 8.4 amps will likely exceed the max safe fuse rating for the panel wires. You still get the same 300 volts, but the theoretical max current is up to 8.4 x 3 = 25.2 amps. This is still under the 26 amp MPPT input limit. If all 18 panels had full sun, yes, this could try to hit 7,560 watts, but since they are different angles, you again have the east panels falling as the west panels come up.

I have 3 rows of 5 series panels going parallel into one MPPT. They are at roughly the same angle, but I do get shadows from trees in the early morning and late evening, and when one row is shaded bad, the other row still makes full power. And with partial shading, the power available still adds.

If you find you are not getting the energy you expect, you can also just add one external MPPT to handle one of the 6 panel strings. That would then give you 36 panels on the Sol-Ark directly, 2 strings of 6 into each MPPT controller channel. With this setup, I would do 2 east rows on one MPPT, then 2 west rows on each of the other 2 MPPT inputs. The final east MPPT string goes to the external MPPT controller. To stay with the 6 series panels, it would still need a 400 volt rating though. Victrons or an Outback or Midnight MPPT will cost a bit but will do a great job. You would need to rewire the panels to 2S3P to get away with a 150 volt controller. My cheapo BougeRV charge controller would be a bit over it's input power limit of 2,400 watts, A 250 volt controller like a Victron would allow 3S2P and allow thinner wire for the array wiring.

Are the panels 50 volts open circuit? How cold does it get there?
Depending on both those answers, the easy solution would be all 18 east facing panels in 9S2P on a single MPPT. Then you can do something easy with the west facing panels and 2 MPPTs

You'll need to run the numbers carefully and accurately, as the voltage could easily exceed 500v depending on the specs and your location.

With a 15k you actually have 6 inputs in those 3 MPPt’s, split the 4 odd facing panels off on their own and series string the remaining panels under the 6,500kw with 500v and 26a limits. No series string has to match another so the remaining 38 can be something like 2X 6p2s and one 7p2s like @pvgirl suggested
The 6 inputs on the sol-ark15k are just paralleled in pairs of 2 in to each MPPT, so you don't really get any more inputs that can handle different panel configs. Trying to parallel a 4 panel string with a 6 or 7 panel string ain't gonna work.

Are the panels 50 volts open circuit? How cold does it get there?
Depending on both those answers, the easy solution would be all 18 east facing panels in 9S2P on a single MPPT. Then you can do something easy with the west facing panels and 2 MPPTs

You'll need to run the numbers carefully and accurately, as the voltage could easily exceed 500v depending on the specs and your location.
Voc for the panels specified in the OP are 59.4volts, and with the sol-ark 15k limits you 7 in series is the limit. 8 if you are absolutely sure it will never get close to 37F.

Voc for the panels specified in the OP are 59.4volts, and with the sol-ark 15k limits you 7 in series is the limit. 8 if you are absolutely sure it will never get close to 37F.
59.4 volts is quite a bit higher than the 50 in the original post. So much for my easy solution.

The 6 inputs on the sol-ark15k are just paralleled in pairs of 2 in to each MPPT, so you don't really get any more inputs that can handle different panel configs.
Not doubting this, and I haven’t reviewed the manual-but can you cite a source for this? It’s not my understanding of how the 6 inputs in the 3 MPPT’s operate.

Not doubting this, and I haven’t reviewed the manual-but can you cite a source for this? It’s not my understanding of how the 6 inputs in the 3 MPPT’s operate.
Well if you have two inputs sharing an MPPT tracker they have only one voltage operating point. Otherwise it wouldn’t be called shared.

Now there are variations like whether the two inputs are just individually fused for convenience going into a shared power converter, or there are dedicated parts of a power converter for each, but I don’t think it helps with a lot of the configs that shared MPPT is not good at.

One example being mismatched substring voltages (different number of panels in series)

The 6 inputs on the sol-ark15k are just paralleled in pairs of 2 in to each MPPT, so you don't really get any more inputs that can handle different panel configs. Trying to parallel a 4 panel string with a 6 or 7 panel string ain't gonna work.
I think you're both saying the same thing, just written from different perspectives.

3 MPPTs
2 connections per MPPT
6 total inputs

Back