diy solar

diy solar

Does a PV combine with output limiter exist?

eppich8479

All these DIY systems have input limitations. But is there something i can use to combine panels, that would add up to more than my system can handle, but gate the power down to what i set it to?

Example, i connect 2x 400w panels at 40v and it limits the output of the combined panels to 500w at the same volts

All these DIY systems have input limitations. But is there something i can use to combine panels, that would add up to more than my system can handle, but gate the power down to what i set it to?

Example, i connect 2x 400w panels at 40v and it limits the output of the combined panels to 500w at the same volts
The solar charge controller pulls what it wants (can accept) from the panels. What you are wanting is how it already works. You would put your panels in parallel, increasing available amperage while keeping the voltage the same.

With a Victron SmartSolar charger you can adjust the charge amperage down from its default max level.

The input limit you need to be concerned with is volts. Max Voc for the string, temperature compensated for the coldest possible temp.

Yes some do have a current limit on what they can pull in so it doesn't make sense to parallel too many single panels. Its just not utilizing the power available.

The solar charge controller pulls what it wants (can accept) from the panels. What you are wanting is how it already works. You would put your panels in parallel, increasing available amperage while keeping the voltage the same.
Okay, bonus question. Can you just combine a bunch of panels in parallel into a moat, and then connect multiple devices to draw from the moat? Obviously you cant exceed the volts limit or the wire capacity.

Maybe the idea is that if one device finished charging, another device would take over charging, on a low sun day.

Okay, bonus question. Can you just combine a bunch of panels in parallel into a moat, and then connect multiple devices to draw from the moat? Obviously you cant exceed the volts limit or the wire capacity.

Maybe the idea is that if one device finished charging, another device would take over charging, on a low sun day.
Moat?

You can't connect multiple mppt controllers onto the same solar array. The algorithms of each mppt will fight each other trying to adjust the voltage and amperage around to suit the needs of their particular loads.

I've heard it said that you might be able to connect the older type of solar charge controller, PWM controllers in that fashion.. but I have no experience with such things. Most modern devices with solar charge controllers built into them will be using MPPT though, not PWM.

diy solar

diy solar
Back