diy solar

diy solar

Truck with 3x solar and rv with 3x solar How to combine?

GlassesLife

Hello all.

Im trying to combine my system from my truck with my rv. The truck has 3, 100w solar, 2x 150AH gel batteries, a 1500 inverter and a 30A charge controller.

What im trying to do is merge two systems into one. I want my truck to still function on its own with out any issues, but also be able to merge to the RV to get the full power of all the panels.

Not sure if its better to get another inveter for the RV or just output from the truck and extension cord over to run the RV.

Whats the best way to go about that?
rough picture.

so been thinking about it, if i add a 2000watt inverter to the RV and keep the truck as it. Get the same mppt controller for both, so they charge the same. I could just connect the truck battery bank and the rv together with a long lead from both banks.

Also realizing its going to cost me 200$ in cable, for 2 runs of 2/0 cable T_T

They would merge the systems and the two controller will charge the entire thing.

so when using the RV it will have the full 450ah bank, thats charged from 2x 30A mppt on the truck n rv.

than i can just dissconnet the Rv from the truck, and the truck will have 300ah charged by its 300watts, and the rv will charge its 150ah.

Last edited:
Agree ^.. i would use truck for 120 power fed into the trailer, or

split the trailer fuse block into two so half can run off truck and half of rv battery and have switch to select all rv or half-and-half options.
Hard to combine two batteries that far apart. 2/0 cable is a lot for RV use unless you are running big amps. You could use 10 or 8 even for short runs and not lose much volts for regular RV DC loads. The Dollar sign goes before the number, sorry you went to public skoo.

Problem seems its backwards for truck to have more amp hour battery than the rv, but we dont have info on why...
The forum can help better if we know what DC loads are required.

I would run a DC-DC charger, like a Victron Orion. If you have an inverter in both, I don’t see the point of inverting to AC only to charge a 12v battery.

The rv will use 100% of the power then im out camping with it. I just want to know how to not waste the extra power the truck has. and get that over to run stuff on the RV.

99% sure a Victron 12/12-18 Smart Orion DC-DC charger will do exactly what you want. You can set up the voltages in the app and just leave it connected when camping. It will charge if 2 conditions are me, the RV battery voltage drops, or the Truck battery is not below a certain preset voltage. $150 and some cabling.

Honestly it might be a better idea to just re route the solar on the truck to the rv. that would be easier on cable to.

But i would need a better battery to be able to handle the charge of 6 panels.

add like a switch on the truck that changes it from charging the truck and charging the Rv.

than add some quick connect cables to the truck and run it over to the rv, that goes stright into the charge controller. i wont get the batteries on the truck, but atleast all the panels will charge the rv.

I would run a DC-DC charger, like a Victron Orion. If you have an inverter in both, I don’t see the point of inverting to AC only to charge a 12v battery.

It would be a little less efficient but much cheaper since all he would need is an extension cord connecting the truck inverter to the trailer. A DC-DC charger + cabling, fuse, etc is much more expensive and you're still somewhat limited on charging current without adding even more DC-DC chargers (which also doubles the cost). A 1500 watt inverter in the truck would theoretically run a 100A charger in the trailer.

Consider the person in your family the least likely to do things "correctly" - for instance when they are tired / hungry.

Now give the assignment of connecting or disconnecting the trailer from the truck so that the trailer can be left behind and the truck used to make a quick trip somewhere with minimal hassle.

Now - do you want to have them deal with DC connections and running solar back and forth, or just plugging in a normal extension cord like they do all the time at home ?

Adding on - if you are married, then also consider that if anything goes wrong, it will be your fault.

True, but no one is allowed to touch a anything, plus i plan to make the connection color coded red black, and be some kinda of simple twist connection at both ends, so the entire length can be stored way. if you look up a trolling motor plug.

I’ve been following this thread, curious.
I would not try to send 12vdc from the truck Solar to the RV for line loss considerations. If you have them in series for a higher voltage, you can use thinner or longer wires for the transfer. A second solar input on the RV feeding into a seperate SCC connected to the RV 12vdc system is the way I would accomplish this.
I actually have THREE RV side solar inputs. The mounted solar panels (2S2P 100 watters) use one SAE type feeding an EPEver 100/30 SCC, one SAE feeds a Victron 75/15 that I was considering using as my primary. Third is the factory Furrion oddball connector that I have adapters and portable MPPT SCC that I can use with my first flex solar panels for a ground array (800watt panels claimed). I’m looking at bungee mounting the flex panels on my truck tonneau cover in camp (safest, non bothersome spot). Buss bars make extra connections simple.

Yeah over all im thinking the best solution is just to take the power from the truck panels and charge the RV battery.
If i put like a 200ah battery that would work well.

Plus i have a generator also, so im getting that victron smart multiplus inverter and swtich. Than 2x victron smart soloar mppt 50-12/24. one for truck and one for rv with same settings.

So truck can run its batteries itself and the rv can run it self with 3 panels on each. But i can combine the truck to the rv for a total of 6 panels.

Should be the easiest solution i can think of.

The truck alternator has available power/capacity, but you are not wasting power by not using it. The alternator puts out the amps it is asked for. Ask for more amps and the truck engine will have to ramp up horse power to drive the extra drag on the alternator that is now putting out more amps. You pay for that extra power in gasoline. Alternators are neither cheap nor fun to replace.
Let the solar do the charging. Panels are cheap and fun to replace.
I am wired for alt charging, but have a disconnect switch and rarely (once ever) have used it on my current rig, and this was only bc I was cycling (draining then recharging batts) and had to take trip suddenly with low batts....

Back