diy solar

diy solar

Don’t forget spring cleaning! (Mini split head unit)

Groscout

Solar hunter
Own it, service it or pay the piper later. My method was pretty simple. All you need is compressed air (not to high pressure), tooth brush, (to loosen the worst of it), baby wipes and a screwdriver to remove the shroud. Here’s some pictures:DBDC8772-7CDE-4EE4-9E8F-E10E9BC4D810.jpeg44FF84FC-D058-4F13-BB08-8754B99722C1.jpegAF8430DF-26EA-4131-9BC6-64A64E6D7B34.jpeg46598B14-3067-4E1E-8F92-704734836048.jpeg5B195908-9AF9-456E-B975-A84B467842E5.jpegC2F4EFD0-04D3-4533-B999-894DD89444A8.jpeg45C57A4E-7EF6-446B-B16D-1535EAAA4D7F.jpegNext year I may add a mild cleaning solution intended for evaporator coils pending recommendation from the manufacturer.

What’s your thoughts?

Own it, service it or pay the piper later. My method was pretty simple. All you need is compressed air (not to high pressure), tooth brush, (to loosen the worst of it), baby wipes and a screwdriver to remove the shroud. Here’s some pictures:View attachment 96986View attachment 96987View attachment 96988View attachment 96990View attachment 96991View attachment 96992View attachment 96989Next year I may add a mild cleaning solution intended for evaporator coils pending recommendation from the manufacturer.

What’s your thoughts?
You don’t show the HARDEST part to clean…
The blower wheel…

You don’t show the HARDEST part to clean…
The blower wheel…
Simple, hold the blower wheel with your least precious finger (to avoid extreme rpm’s) and apply compressed air over the whole “blower wheel” while allowing some rotation for even cleaning.

Simple, hold the blower wheel with your least precious finger (to avoid extreme rpm’s) and apply compressed air over the whole “blower wheel” while allowing some rotation for even cleaning.
Well… that will clear loose dry dust… I service these regularly and air won’t cut it on most of them…
I have a few to clean at my office… I will post pics.

Well… that will clear loose dry dust… I service these regularly and air won’t cut it on most of them…
I have a few to clean at my office… I will post pics.
I would agree, air only doesn’t seem like it would cut it if we’re any worse than what I was dealing with.

I’m not a candle guy and I have a full sized range hood to eliminate any vaporized grease from cooking.

Do you use a specific cleaning solution with water to flush? I’m interested.

I would agree, air only doesn’t seem like it would cut it if we’re any worse than what I was dealing with.

I’m not a candle guy and I have a full sized range hood to eliminate any vaporized grease from cooking.

Do you use a specific cleaning solution with water to flush? I’m interested.
Yes, I use an evaporator cleaning solution and soak the coil and blower wheel. I bag up the entire unit, and rinse it out with a garden hose sprayer.

Yes, I use an evaporator cleaning solution and soak the coil and blower wheel. I bag up the entire unit, and rinse it out with a garden hose sprayer.

Next year I may add a mild cleaning solution intended for evaporator coils pending recommendation from the manufacturer.

What’s your thoughts?
I’m on the same page. When I did maintenance professionally my hvac guy recommended the same.

I did my two just a week ago. I use to use just a pump up one gallon Garden Spray bottle with water alcohol and soap mixture and blast out the dirt from the coil.
The Fan blade is tough to clean. I use a 1/4" art work paint brush and clean each blade one at a time then blast it off with spray bottle. After everything is done I use DataVac air blower to get out the remaining water and dirt from the coils. I have to do this three times a year so it has become pretty routine.

Based on a recommendation I got on this forum I now use Nu-Calgon Evap Cleaner instead of my Water and Alcohol + soap mix. I still blast the NU-Calgon out with the high pressure spray bottle with just plain water. It makes life easier but the end result is not all that different and the price is high.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM8KQ3I?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Items that are really needed are:

1) A service bag like this one, just get the right size for your AC.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087639WRK?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

2) Spray Bottle
https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-Pressure-Sprayer-Adjustable-Shoulder/dp/B07Y82117Q/ref=sr_1_29?crid=1MP4HCXG124D8&keywords=garden+spray+bottle&qid=1654409750&sprefix=garden+spray+bottle,aps,123&sr=8-29&th=1

Datavac is optional but it really gets out the remaining crap plus I use it for a dozen other dusting jobs:
https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Powerful-Electronic-Environmentally-Friendly/dp/B01FWSYOME/ref=sr_1_3?crid=8HL7O5PR0ORA&keywords=Datavac&qid=1654409892&sprefix=datavac,aps,139&sr=8-3

Back