diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18k solar layout help.

doatopgun

I am new to this, but very interested in learning. I have tried to hire multiple people in my area to help, but nobody has responded. I have been searching, reading, and watching YouTube, but the last of my solar panels go up next weekend and I want to make sure I'm not messing up with the layout of the solar panels.

https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/CS-Datasheet-HiKu6CS6R-MS-HL_v1.1.pdf. One powerpro 14k, plan to add two more soon.

I have one array of 12 of these panels facing south. I will have one array of 14 of these panels facing west if someone doesn't steer me differently. This includes 5 panels that haven't been mounted yet. I will have 4 panels left after the installation that can't face west. My higher usage would be in the late afternoon. Nothing has been wired yet.

Arkansas, so it rarely goes below 0. My arrays are less than 30 feet away from the 18k. Not really worried about selling electricity back to the power company. I would like to maximize my setup to be the best it can be, though.

From what I have read, my situation isn't optimal. Should I go 7, and 7 in parallel for mppt1? Then 6 and 6 on mppt2 and mpp3? I haven't found yet how important getting the voc higher is.

Brandon

12 south, 14 west, and 4 left.
6+6, and 7+7 assume there is nothing wonky about the exposure. Shading, and other factors that make Panel A output different from Panel B, will affect the ability to parallel non-identical strings.

> I haven't found yet how important getting the voc higher is.

As long as you are in the operating range of the MPPT, meet the min voltage for the inverter, and do not exceed the max voltage of your mppt/inverter (VOC, adjusted), you are fine.

Can you mount the remaining 4 panels facing east? That will get you some production in the morning.

Thank you for your response! Very good info! Last question

I looked and it looks like I can only fit 3 where I thought I could fit 5. So I will have a 6 x 6 parallel south facing, a 6 x 6 parallel west facing(9 on one side of the house and 3 on the other), and a 6 series east facing. Thank you for recommending the morning sun, I hadn't even thought about it!

Last question. The three lone panels are on the north side of the roof facing west. Maybe 15 feet from the other west-facing 9 panels. Either side could be shaded late in the evenings, due to a tree on the west side of the house, depending on the season. Is there a way you would group the other three on the north side with nine on the south side, regarding parallel? I read somewhere that bypass diodes could help with shading and my panels have 3 bypass diodes each.

Attaching a picture of my property. I'd buy you a beer if you weren't 22 hours away!

Attachments

• solar.jpg
    solar.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 8
Hard to give advice with all the roof angles you have. Have you considered the fire code requirement for setback and ridge access? You might be ok as drawn, but I have no idea what is considered accessible or not.

You may also have more than 3 different strings. Maybe micro inverters for the last few panels.

Everything is up to code but my drawing skills! I want to keep it simple, with only three different strings. Thank you for your guidance! I have plenty of time to plan everything else, but the guys will be here next Saturday to mount the last of the panels.

I am new to this, but very interested in learning. I have tried to hire multiple people in my area to help, but nobody has responded. I have been searching, reading, and watching YouTube, but the last of my solar panels go up next weekend and I want to make sure I'm not messing up with the layout of the solar panels.

https://signaturesolar.com/content/documents/CS-Datasheet-HiKu6CS6R-MS-HL_v1.1.pdf. One powerpro 14k, plan to add two more soon.

I have one array of 12 of these panels facing south. I will have one array of 14 of these panels facing west if someone doesn't steer me differently. This includes 5 panels that haven't been mounted yet. I will have 4 panels left after the installation that can't face west. My higher usage would be in the late afternoon. Nothing has been wired yet.

Arkansas, so it rarely goes below 0. My arrays are less than 30 feet away from the 18k. Not really worried about selling electricity back to the power company. I would like to maximize my setup to be the best it can be, though.

From what I have read, my situation isn't optimal. Should I go 7, and 7 in parallel for mppt1? Then 6 and 6 on mppt2 and mpp3? I haven't found yet how important getting the voc higher is.

Brandon
If your not buying batteries their selling you won't get anyone to take the job. I've contacted a couple dozen "installers" over the past couple months. Everyone of them started their battery pitch within three or four sentences in. They wanna sell stuff, not install stuff.

I
If your not buying batteries their selling you won't get anyone to take the job. I've contacted a couple dozen "installers" over the past couple months. Everyone of them started their battery pitch within three or four sentences in. They wanna sell stuff, not install stuff.
I hear ya! I haven't had anyone even call me back! Nobody wants to do labor these days.

Can you do a ground mount system lot easier if you have the room.
I have plenty of land, but it's all surrounded by trees. That one tree on the west is the only thing messing me up, but it also shades the house in the evening. I don't like mowing around stuff anyway. 9 west, 9 east, and 12 south are what I'm planning. The 12 will be split into 2 parallel arrays of 6 panels in series. I think it will give me a good balance of morning and evening during all the seasons. I'm worried more about covering my energy than maximizing solar output for net metering. I've done the math, just hope I did it right!

Back