diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV Charging Settings

NEPaisan

I've been doing a lot of research into solar systems in preparation for installing one, hopefully in the near future. I am impressed with the 18KPV, but I have one question I can't find the answer to in the manual. The EG4 6500s allow you to set a minimum battery SOC value, at which it will switch to Grid power and recharge the batteries. I cannot find the same parameter settings in the 18KPV manual. You can set a minimum SOC which will turn on a generator to charge the batteries and you can set specific times of the day to charge the batteries from the grid, but I don't see how to set the batteries to charge from the grid when they reach an SOC setpoint. Has anyone found and/or is using that capability? Thanks.

I'm off grid. My gripe is I don't have a turn on SOC%. It's simply 5% more than the cut-off, so as soon as I hit 13% the inverter comes back on. I've found many of these settings to be somewhat confusing. In particular the interaction with settings like 'AC Charge' and 'Charge First', which have 3 start and end times.

1690938354725.png

I'm off grid. My gripe is I don't have a turn on SOC%. It's simply 5% more than the cut-off, so as soon as I hit 13% the inverter comes back on. I've found many of these settings to be somewhat confusing. In particular the interaction with settings like 'AC Charge' and 'Charge First', which have 3 start and end times.

View attachment 160622
So from what I understand, charge first will switch the load to grid power and divert all the solar power to charging the batteries. After charging, the solar is then directed to support the loads. AC Charge will charge the batteries using the grid and you can set times to do so, like overnite when prices are low. It seems you can also set a battery SOC as a trigger to start and stop grid charging. But I’m not sure if it requires times to be entered or not. Seems dumb that way. Let me set charging to start either at a given time or a given SOC. That’s the quibble I’m trying to get answered.

The "On-Grid Cut-Off SOC(%) (?)" is the value that will switch you to grid. When the solar starts to generate the grid usage will taper off as the the PV starts to take the load.
You get an E for effort. As I stated I am not on the grid. I am not connected to the grid. Grid bad. When off grid the inverter tuns back on at 5% over the cut off. Different animal than 'tapering' output. I would like that to be wider. Most of the settings are pretty narrow, and assume you are tied to the grid. Many of the time/threshold settings lack good examples. I might play with a few now that the weather is cooler.

Back