diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18Kpv system on 400 amp service?

Randman

I have a 400 amp service to our fairly large house. I have ordered a system with the 18Kpv unit and 14kwh wall battery. I know the 18Kpv has a 200 amp limit.
So I'm planning to create a 200 amp sub panel with specified circuits that would work under that limit. And then connect the inverter directly to that sub panel. The remaining circuits would remain on the 400 amp main panel and be fed only by the grid for now.
Does this sound like it will work?

Yes, What you described is a typical configuration. The 18Kpv AC Input can be fed by a 200A (or less) breaker in from the 400A main panel so you have utility pass-thru and back up battery charging if solar is insufficient.

Keep in mind the transfer relay in the 18Kpv is rated at 200A for utility pass-thru but the inverter can only supply 12KW (50A) when utility power is lost. If the critical loads subpanel has several large appliances attached A/C units, water heater, elec range etc. you may need to practice some manual load control or perhaps install a Leviton or similar smart panel that can be programmed to shunt trip some of the less critical loads so the inverter doesn't get overloaded when operating on battery and/or solar only.

Back