diy solar

diy solar

EG4 3000 EHV-48 and generator for AC in - who has had success and with what inverter generator?

KBr

I am looking for a generator to serve as backup during poor weather days for an off-grid cabin. Power usage is low, ~2500W/day and solar covers it most of the time.

The current configurations is as follows:
EG4 3000 EHV-48 all-in-one (V2)
1 x 48v 100Ahr Trophy battery
1200 W PV array

After reading many posts describing difficulties with the EG4 3000 recognizing AC input from a generator, I'm cautions about running out and buying one without advice. It would be great to hear from anyone that is successfully using an inverter generator with the EG4 3000. I am considering a Champion 2500-Watt Dual Fuel (https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100899-2500-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/) since I have propane on site.

Non-inverter types, like my Onan 4000 on my RV, will not work! EG4s documentation in their manual and on their website is wrong.

Non-inverter types, like my Onan 4000 on my RV, will not work! EG4s documentation in their manual and on their website is wrong.
WOW! I did not know this. I just bought a Champion 201052 4750/3800 Dual Fuel, NON-Inverter Gen. I have been shopping for the best AIO DIY vs. Delta Pro.

Do any of these solar inverters work well enough with a Non-Inverter generator?

I am looking for a generator to serve as backup during poor weather days for an off-grid cabin. Power usage is low, ~2500W/day and solar covers it most of the time.

1200 W PV array

After reading many posts describing difficulties with the EG4 3000 recognizing AC input from a generator, I'm cautions about running out and buying one without advice. It would be great to hear from anyone that is successfully using an inverter generator with the EG4 3000. I am considering a Champion 2500-Watt Dual Fuel (https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100899-2500-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/) since I have propane on site.
Eg4 has a 48 volt charger now that you could use to plug into any generator and charge the system, I think, easy to find out..It's a couple hundred bucks..

Using a predator 2000w inverter generator to top things off in the winter. Had to change the charge settings to only pull so much without tripping the thing, but it works.

1200 W PV array

I own 3 Champion (brand name) Inverter Generators; and think they are dependable and work great; though I am not leaning on them with lots of hours behind me. I just tested one of my smaller 120vac (1700 Watt continuous/ 2000 Watt surge) ... Champion Inverter Generators on an EG4 3000, and confirmed that is good for a 28 amp charge via the internal charger of my EG4 3000 EHV-48 (with a little room to up that) on my 48+v .. 305 Ah LifePO4s set. These All In Ones NEED the Inverter type of Generator ... which produce clean sine wave, are more fuel efficient, and (think most or all) have an ECON Mode for low idle that auto throttles up with applied Electrical Loads. I believe you will NOT get any older style, regular kind of Generator to charge a battery through any all in one (unless you seen some exception w specifics kind of story about that?)

I will mention this lesson too: ... If you Network two or more all in one units together, and configure them for 240vac split phase; THEN ... to get a generator sourced charge cycle going via the internal battery charger of your all in one ... you need a 240vac INVERTER GENERATOR ... If you might be looking for 240va Inverter Generator ... I saw the Champion 7500 Watt Inverter Model with electric start on the Home Depot website for $1260. In my opinion, Champion is putting dependable generators, and I think their Inverter Generators are the best deals on the market (I suggest you compare em to the other good deals). I also Recommend that you only consider Inverter Generators/ and do not buy the older types.

... If you networked two or more all in ones to up amperage in 120vac configuration, that most likely matches up for a 120vac Inverter Generator working properly for generator battery charging cycles.

Gen OFF Tip ... I turn off my generators (& all my other fuel powered motor powered tools) OFF by Turning OFF the Fuel Tank Valve. Letting your motor run till it stops ... drains (most of) the fuel out of the carburetor. I Recommend: Don't use that kill switch when you are gona let it to set for awhile (like; especially in a stored mode RV). That keeps the carbs cleaner from evaporation leaving behind varnish like deposits. That habit makes for easy start ups the next time. ... I also use Sea Foam fuel additives in all my vehicles and motors once or twice a year. I really notice the difference. ... for Reference; I will amention my 2 motorcycle with carburetors, which I do all my on wrenching on; ... both run smooth, dependable, and purr like kittens. ... My Two Cents :+)

Last edited:
Back