diy solar

diy solar

EG4 48v Lifepower4 to Venus OS using RS485

solarDavesolar

Hi all,

I have an EG4 48v Lifepower4 100ah server rack battery (NOT the LL version) and a raspberry pi running Venus OS acting as a Cerbo GX to monitor my Victron solar charge controller and inverter.

Is it possible to connect the battery to the RPi/Cerbo as a device so it can see SOC?

I have the USB to RJ45 cable that came with the battery and I can see the battery fine on my laptop with the EG4/ Qualtech BMS Test software but I'm unclear on whether it's possible to connect to the Raspberry Pi or not.

Unfortunately, the LL version having a different BMS and communication protocol is muddying the waters of what I can find online.

I tried installing the dbus-serialbattery package but couldn't get it to work.

Before I keep spinning my wheels here does anyone know for sure if it's possible or not? Or would I have to buy EG4's "LiFePOWER4 Communications Hub" to do it?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I think my question may be the same as here, but since I have the 48v and I'm using VenusOS, it might be slightly different so didn't want to hijack that thread:

To answer my own question: yes, using Louisvdw's dbus-serialbattery driver will work to connect the EG4 battery directly to the Raspberry pi.

My only issue seems to be that I had the dip switches all set to 0. Once I changed the DIP setting to 1 the battery showed up in my cerbo's devices and is working correctly!

Back