diy solar

diy solar

EG4 5th Wheel RV Solar Design

Jtchess15

Looking for a once over of my blueprint for my 5th Wheel before buying everything if anyone is willing. Rig is wired for 50 amp, 38 feet, 3 A/C's, and good carrying capacity for all the equipment. I live in Arizona with lots of sun.

I am not changing my breaker panel I am simply replacing L1 and L2 with power from the two inverters feeding each 50amp breaker. 12 v loads will stay wired the same but insert an orion 48v to 12v to step down my 48v system. Inverters will not run 24/7, mainly in the summer when its hot and winter when its really cold and as needed otherwise.

Questions/Concerns:
1. I am unsure about the wire size, I am using Will Prowse blueprint so I know the battery to inverter wire size is good. Tried to follow wiring charts
2. Unsure if I should wire all solar in series to one inverter or split in half to each inverter
3. Thinking two EG4 6500 inverters is overkill. Maybe the second inverter can be the EG4 3000? It only has 1 A/C on that breaker
4. Not sure if this system is balanced with only 3 batteries. With lots of sun and not always using full capacity I felt 3 48V Batteries (100amps each) would do the job 95% of the time.

I will post the finished product once installed with how its working. I appreciate any help and see graphic below for the design.
Solar System.png

Looking for a once over of my blueprint for my 5th Wheel before buying everything if anyone is willing. Rig is wired for 50 amp, 38 feet, 3 A/C's, and good carrying capacity for all the equipment. I live in Arizona with lots of sun.

I am not changing my breaker panel I am simply replacing L1 and L2 with power from the two inverters feeding each 50amp breaker. 12 v loads will stay wired the same but insert an orion 48v to 12v to step down my 48v system. Inverters will not run 24/7, mainly in the summer when its hot and winter when its really cold and as needed otherwise.

Questions/Concerns:
1. I am unsure about the wire size, I am using Will Prowse blueprint so I know the battery to inverter wire size is good. Tried to follow wiring charts
2. Unsure if I should wire all solar in series to one inverter or split in half to each inverter
3. Thinking two EG4 6500 inverters is overkill. Maybe the second inverter can be the EG4 3000? It only has 1 A/C on that breaker
4. Not sure if this system is balanced with only 3 batteries. With lots of sun and not always using full capacity I felt 3 48V Batteries (100amps each) would do the job 95% of the time.

I will post the finished product once installed with how its working. I appreciate any help and see graphic below for the design.
View attachment 117702
Most of this is beyond my level of experience, though I have been considering something similar for an off-grid cabin, and did a 12v system for a small travel trailer, but I still watch Will's videos on the subject. So I will confine my thoughts to two items... 1) wire gauge for the solar panels. Technically it looks to be in spec for the v/a run, but seems like 10 AWG is pretty standard, a little more margin, and a longer run, plus make sure it is solar specific for outdoor sun exposure. 2) the breaker from the server rack batteries to the Lynx Distributor... appears to be a two pole breaker (you are only connecting here to positive, single pole). Make sure it is DC rated for enough volts/amps. Generally I see Will placing a T-Class fuse here in his build videos.

I would think the input is actually 120V/50A. Have never seen a 50A RV hookup that is 240V.

Kind of a bummer to see this almost 2 months later - I'm doing pretty similar setup although keeping it 120V (I've got a "7x14ft cargo trailer" post for it for detail)

Problems:
  1. What's your typical consumption in a day and expected combined loads? Do you have any real need for more than a unit with 6.5kWh continuous / 2x surge for 5s? That's a pretty serious amount of power for anything less than a central air conditioner unit or electric range.
  2. Those EG4 inverters have pretty serious vampiric drain.. there's more detail available in a post somewhere but if memory serves, they consume 100-150W idle which means you'd be burning 4kWh+ a day simply having them turned on.
  3. Generally speaking, you want a good deal more battery capacity than your inverter's continuous load. I suppose you're fairly close to achieving this with this system (13kW / 15kWh), but one unit and 2-3 batteries would be a better ratio at 6.5 kW / 10kWh.

I'd be interested to see the OPs progress. The thread is two months old and he has not been to the forum in over a month.

I'd be interested to see the OPs progress. The thread is two months old and he has not been to the forum in over a month.
Indeed.. maybe they'll get an email notification if we quote em ;)

Looking for a once over of my blueprint for my 5th Wheel before buying everything if anyone is willing. Rig is wired for 50 amp, 38 feet, 3 A/C's, and good carrying

I would think the input is actually 120V/50A. Have never seen a 50A RV hookup that is 240V.
Sorry, but this is not true. Yes, most RVs only use the two legs of the split phase 120/240v system separately as 120v BUT that doesn't mean the 50 amp service doen't carry 240v. Don't believe me? Go put a meter across tbe 2 hots any you will read 240v - it doen't matter if you read at the pedestal, the coach end of your cord or at across the two 50 amp breakers (sometimes just a double) in your panel. You will read 240v. I've yet to see a 50 amp service in a park that wasn't configured this way. In fact, if it were configured with two in phase legs none of the very popular Victron MP2 2x120 inverters would work, as they drop L2 if it is in phase.

Back