diy solar

diy solar

EG4 auto start propane generator?

Jrtf83

Is it possible to get an EG4 to automatically start a propane generator when the batteries get below a certain %? How would I go about setting something like this up?

Doesn't need to be an EG4 if some other solution works better, but that's my current frontrunner for my off-grid cabin setup.

Thanks in advance,
Ross

Here's more info about using the dry contact (relay) trigger on an EG4 6500EX for example:

(NO means Normally Open, and NC means Normally Closed, C means Common)
1671772453839.png

That is from Page 17 in this PDF (Page 12 in actual document):

Some generators, you may need to get a special starting control module to connect to it, which will allow simple close-a-wire to start, and open the wire to shut off the generator. There are several such modules on the internet to allow to connect to most generators (if they have auto-choke, or are able to start without any special tricks)...

As Sam posted above you use the dry contact with setting 13.

You'll want to test this and ensure the startup occurs within a reasonable time window.

Thank you both for the quick replies!
As an alternative, I'm also looking at something like a Bluetti AC300 or a Point Zero Titan. Do you know if they would have this capability?
How do I generally decide between going with an EG4 or a Bluetti or the like?

Thank you both for the quick replies!
As an alternative, I'm also looking at something like a Bluetti AC300 or a Point Zero Titan. Do you know if they would have this capability?
How do I generally decide between going with an EG4 or a Bluetti or the like?

For me based on what I think I know about them, both the Bluetti and the Titan are more like things I would bring to a campsite or use for portable application only. The EG4 is a wall mounted inverter, more like the only type I'd consider for a permanent install in my house.

Here's more info about using the dry contact (relay) trigger on an EG4 6500EX for example:

View attachment 125933

Some generators, you may need to get a special starting control module to connect to it, which will allow simple close-a-wire to start, and open the wire to shut off the generator. There are several such modules on the internet to allow to connect to most generators (if they have auto-choke, or are able to start without any special tricks)...
Seems to me.. a YouTube on a how to series wiring the 6500ex dry contact through a module to a standard well sold generator like a Westinghouse wgen7500df would be a great highly watched vid

View attachment 125933

Thanks.. as a newbie.. (set up one whole house system with two 6500ex in split phase with 800 amp hour batteries ) I’d like to see what modules exist to interface the Westinghouse to the 7500ex dry contacts .. I’ve been looking .. can’t find any .. your recommendation or direction would be appreciated

Thanks.. as a newbie.. (set up one whole house system with two 6500ex in split phase with 800 amp hour batteries ) I’d like to see what modules exist to interface the Westinghouse to the 7500ex dry contacts .. I’ve been looking .. can’t find any .. your recommendation or direction would be appreciated
6500ex dry contacts

6500ex dry contacts

I don't know a ton about Westinghouse generator per se (I've worked on a couple smaller inverter generators of theirs before), but found this Reddit thread where a Westinghouse owner uses this Atkinson GSCM-mini controller he seems to like, where he explains how to hook it up..

Atkinson GSCM-mini:

Not saying it is necessarily the best model for the application, but I usually start with looking to see what others got up and running, and trying to figure out why they went that way.

You might also reach out to Westinghouse and ask them if they have a two-wire start generator controller made specifically for the unit model in question.

Good luck with it!

Is it possible to get an EG4 to automatically start a propane generator when the batteries get below a certain %? How would I go about setting something like this up?

Doesn't need to be an EG4 if some other solution works better, but that's my current frontrunner for my off-grid cabin setup.

Thanks in advance,
Ross
I tested the dry contact and here are results.

6000EX inverter set parameter 14 to EG4, Put a multimeter in NO contacts on ring mode, Changed parameter 20 to 95% so it would trigger and contact pulled in for 20 secs/off 10 secs/in 20secs/, etc so it toggles. So you will have to use off delay relays and latch one to start for 5 secs and another to run for 2-3 hours time by opening kill switch and if propane then also open solenoid valve (whatever works for you.) Hook a car door lock actuator up to the choke and triggered it off of the starter.

Put parameter 20 back to 5% and contact stopped toggling.

I was an automation electrician for a few years. Anything can be automated.

You really need to use an inverter generator for a pure sine wave. I have a predator 9500 I just picked up on sale. It sends 40 amps in to 6000EX no problems.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back