diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Dual 8K Build for rate shifting fail. Switching to a single EG4 18kpv

AndyCasper

I worked with Signature Solar to scope out a system that's now been installed for almost 2 months. This system was designed to charge off peak and run battery power during our peak rate window of 3pm to 8pm.

1689787658393.jpeg

I passed local inspection with this system (Northern Utah) and as an inverter and battery combo, as far as a battery inverter system to provide power to loads, this works fine. It even works perfectly during a recent power outage. However, we have not been able to get the software to follow literally any instructions. From battery charge rate (amps) to forced battery discharge at a certain time, the system simply refuses to do anything automatically. The only time we can deliver battery power to loads is by flipping the breakers for it's grid feed forcing it into EPS mode.

After weeks of troubleshooting, firmware updates and manual action every weekday at 3pm and 8pm, we are indeed saving money on electricity bills, but not with a system that acts on our behalf. I want to emphasis though that the Signature Solar team has been PHENOMENAL. They are completely overwhelmed with strong sales and lots of customers, so there were some gaps in communication, but they always followed up every few days. In the end this equipment might be great for an off-grid only solution, but it's just not feasible for what I'm trying to do.

SS is promising a full refund on return of the product, including the cost of shipping which is wonderful and I really appreciate them for it. I have the 18kpv on it's way.

Last edited:
Update. The new 18Kpv is in place and really incredible. A friend called it night and day difference, but this feels otherworldly in comparison. Just by happenstance, we had a power outage the day after the installation was complete so we got to witness the full scope of how this system will serve us. Very, very pleased.

IMG_2323.jpegIMG_2327.jpegIMG_0667.jpeg

I switched from my Ecoflow system to the 18kPV. While installing the EG4 system required more brain power (which I no longer have), Tech Support was great. The system works very well and I have saved a great deal of grid power, as this system with the included Canadian Solar panels and LL batteries (3 of them) supply all my 120V needs. I still use grid for 240V in the house. Yep, I'm a happy camper right now. As time goes on, I'll see if I remain that way.

Back