diy solar

diy solar

El-cheapo Hall effect current meter from Ali

kaseywantssolar

I wanted a non-invasive cheap clamp meter to measure the current output from my panels. I found this is aliexpress for $10 bucks and while it’s no precision device (min resolution = 300mA!), it does seem to work quite well AND the sensor hole is big enough for a MC4 connector to pass thru. Less convenient than a DC clamp meter but cheaper so i get to buy a few more beers instead.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945986601.html

I bet there must be similar in Amazon or ebay too.

If you want higher resolution it says to wrap the wire around the sensor and divide the readings by the # of turns. So 30A reading with 3 turns = 10A irl. I didnt need this so didnt try it.

Just a note that it seems to be slightly more accurate in one direction vs the other. Theres some more info on this meter here but it just aint that complicated lol… http://www.wooliis.com/Enproducts_view.aspx?ID=71

Hth :)

Attachments

• ACCC0DB0-4AB6-44B5-A219-F78B5B6ACEF0.jpeg
    ACCC0DB0-4AB6-44B5-A219-F78B5B6ACEF0.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 6
Not bad at all. I got one of the Plusivo clamp meters off of Amazon. It was a whopping $35 though. But it's probably easier to use and came with a bunch of test leads.

Accuracy is a little "iffy" though.

The issue with these open loop hall effect sensors is the core can become magnetically biased if you hit it will a large current.

The forward and reverse direction current reading difference will get worse if core becomes magnetically biased.

You might be able to demagnetize the core with an old tape head degaussing wand, assuming you are old enough to know what that is..

The issue with these open loop hall effect sensors is the core can become magnetically biased if you hit it will a large current.

The forward and reverse direction current reading difference will get worse if core becomes magnetically biased.

You might be able to demagnetize the core with an old tape head degaussing wand, assuming you are old enough to know what that is..
I have one that looks like a little wand and another that looks like a small iron. I think they both came from Radio Shack. Not sure if they still work or not.

"You might be able to demagnetize the core with an old tape head degaussing wand, assuming you are old enough to know what that is."
LOL! that is a good one. I just give away my TEAC 3340S, 3300S, and Pioneer RT-909 with bunch of un-open AMPEX and Scott 10" reel tapes. They worth a lot of money but I gave them away for free to a good home. I may still have Pioneer 8-Track recorder/player up in the attic, I still also have 18" degaussing coil for TV, it may be good something.

I have one (got it from Amazon). I agree that it is pretty accurate. While I have shunts in a few locations, I use this one on the input to my inverter.

Back