diy solar

diy solar

Electrical engineer with solar experience for hire. Traveling southern USA & intermountain west.

Dennis_L

Hi, glad to see Will created this subsection for the forum. Thank you Will!

My name is Dennis latyshev, I have designed and built several small scale off grid solar power setups for the skoolie/ Vanlife / rv crowd. Under 1kw solar. I have my own skoolie that I live in full time and am fully self sufficient off grid with 1.2kw solar.

I have limited experience with larger systems, but have partnered with a friend to take his house off grid in 2023 with an 18kw system. I intended to develop more experience with design and installation of larger systems.

I do not have a contractor license but am seriously considering getting certified in the state of New Mexico if there is a career path and enough available work doing on grid or off grid solar for paying customers.

I am an electrical engineer by trade with a decent amount of my own tools, (oscilloscope, multi- meters, crimping tools, amp clamp, meger, CT testers / calibration equipment. )

Though most of my work experience has been in industrial automation, I am knowledgeable about most AC and DC electrical systems, I have dismantled and repaired my own inverters, VFD's, and ESC's for work or as my own hobby. I am familiar with all components that make a functional solar setup and look forward to building more and larger systems.

For now I am offering my help/service for anyone who is doing an exclusively DIY setup and is assuming the risk associated to their property.

I am traveling all over the southern (Texas) and western US in 2023, I would be interested to meet other off grid solar enthusiasts and offer my help with their project as additional labor, design work, producing schematic drawings, etc.

If you are interested in hiring me or could use my services please contact me though this forum.
We can discuss your project and decide a fair rate for the work you need done.

I am impressed that you've posted this ... I wish I had known about you when (10 years ago) I first put up my 3/4" plywood sheet in my utility shed, and started mounting all the solar and other electrical equipment. I knew what I wanted on that board, but could not find an EE to look it over and suggest the proper placement for everything ... as a result ... well, you can imagine.

The spaghetti bowl in Houston (and any other city) looks well-organized in comparison. Much like an electrical cad program has a "routing" function for the best placement of everything, I wish I could've run such a routing pass over my chosen items, and ended up with something much better than what I've got. It works, but it won't win any awards ...

I would like to see an EE offer a service of reviewing not only the electrical design, but the "placement" of everything! I would've paid for such a service ...

Best of luck to you!

I hope you are like Johnny Appleseed planting solar panels wherever you go.

Hi my name is Osman I want to design and build Off grid solar power for my small Carwash . Using a total power
22Kva In 3Phase. In my area it is sunny all day and the period of working is 11Hours everyday. I have limited
experience such a large system. I am wondering if anyone can help me how to build this system .

Hi my name is Osman I want to design and build Off grid solar power for my small Carwash . Using a total power
22Kva In 3Phase. In my area it is sunny all day and the period of working is 11Hours everyday. I have limited
experience such a large system. I am wondering if anyone can help me how to build this system .
What’s your location?

Hi there, are you in the SE area of the states anytime soon?

Victron systems engineer wanted for a paid consulting project building a non-grid tied solar generator. Work from home, on your own hours.

Hi Dennis, I'm in the central Texas area, and have a professionally installed grid tied system, that I would like to add a battery backup and generator to , none of the local contractors seem interested in doing this , well one did but wanted to use the Tesla power wall which is out of my price range , I have a good idea of the products I want to use just don't have the electrical background to do the hookups , I'm a retired union ironworker and have basic knowledge of electrical equipment, wired my shop with no problems, but don't want to screw up expensive solar panels or inverters, would you be interested in a job here , lake Buchanan area.

Back