diy solar

diy solar

Epever scc settings, float problem

dodaly

I've been having some problems trying to reach 100% soc on my 12v lifepo4 setup. I've got my max voltage at 3.525 (14.1) but I only reach about 75% after a couple sunny days as my float voltage of 13.6 limits the current way to early to get to 100% soc. I've tried setting my float and boost charge to match at 14.1v now and that's bulk charging again but is this a bad idea and will damage my cells?

Eventually will reduce battery life.
Try setting the bulk time out higher, about 2-3 hours, and restore the 13.6v float.
Also, why do you need 100% soc? 95% to 97% is fine and will give a longer lifetime. Works for me.
My Victron Smart Solar has a Tail Current setting that will early exit bulk (14.2v, 1 hour) when the current drops below my 10A setting. Also it measures voltage at the battery via the Victron Smart Shunt, which corrects for cable voltage drop.
Your SCC measures the voltage at it's terminals, not at the battery. Are your SCC to Battery cables lenght short? The largest gauge the SCC battery terminal accepts? No circuit breaker in the path.? Fuses have less loss.
The RV WFCO converter supplies 13.6v and it takes many hours to hit 95% charge. It takes a long time due to the cable resistance. After 40 hours it drops to 13.2v storage.

Last edited:
I have the bulk max quite low not 100% 3.6 but what will recommends at 14.1 3.525, it's just if I have the float at 13.6 it hits that quite quick and then barely charges so what I'm using it for I often do a whole day and have little charge to use in the evenings

You should capitalize Wills name.
Also without a good shunt your reduced to blind guesswork. I have a Victron Smart Shunt. Beware of cheap shunts they only measure discharge current. Also a good DVM would help. Measure at many points and voltage drop on cables.
BTW: The batteries bluetooth data is just a guideline. Current reading is crude but useful for trouble shooting. SOC % are just voltage levels and unreliable. I dialed it down on my OVERKILL Solar BMS for a better fit.
I occasionally look at the Victron Smart Shunt bluetooth data. Rarely check the batteries BMS bluetooth.

Last edited:
What batteries are you using? Got Links?
Describe your system: # panels and wattage, EPever model, Shunt, batteries etc

Last edited:
How are you measuring SOC?
Are you sure that the battery BMS is not disabling the charge path?
If the battery is reaching 14.1 volts with no sudden drop in charge current , then it over 98 % charged. A boost duration, absorbtion, of 30 to 60 minutes should top up to 100% if that's your aim.
If you are using the Epever charger SOC reading, ignore, its totally incorrect.

I've got my max voltage at 3.525
I use a max setting of 3.45 volts per cell and set my Coulomb Counter in my BMS to consider that 100%. As far as I am concerned that is 98 to 99% anyway. As others have said it probably matters how you are measuring SOC?

Last edited:
State of charge is measured by my daly bms yes, I have 600ah of lifepo4 batteries 12v 4p3s connections. I have 800w of solar on the roof connected to a 60a epever scc, I've now set the float back to 13.6 and set the boost to 70 mins at 14.1v I'm going to lower my batteries max voltage to 3.45 and hopefully refresh the state of charge because I think its measuring 3.6v as 100 percent

I've had issues with my Daly bms SOC as it does not register currents below 2A. I guess it is dependent on your typical current draws but because I frequently have small draws for long periods the SOC tends to become inaccurate over time.

Back