diy solar

diy solar

Expanding micro inverter (Enphase) system

wcodyd

Hello,

I live in rural Arkansas and have Entergy Arkansas as my utility provider. No permits were required for my system, but I like to have it to code.

I currently have a professionally installed, roof-mount, grid-tied system, consisting of the following:

(23) Mission Solar 395 watt panels installed as two branch circuits (11 panels on one and 12 on the other)
(23) Enphase IQ8PLUS-72-M-US microinverters
(1) Enphase Combiner Box 4
(1) 30A safety shutoff switch with two fuses
(1) 40A double pole breaker for the PV system installed in my electrical panel

The installer used (2) 12/2 cable runs from the junction box on the roof to the combiner box. The wiring goes from panel branches -> junction box -> combiner box -> safety switch -> main electrical panel.

The panels provide a maximum generation of 9.085 kW and my inverters provide 6.670 kW. The max amperage is 27.83 amps.

I want to expand my solar generation capacity to meet more of our power consumption needs. I’ve already installed a ground mount with 20 panels but have not yet wired the system. I’d like to keep the system as simple as possible— I want to use Enphase IQ+ microinverters and re-use existing Enphase combiner box and safety shut off box, if possible.

Here are the system components for the expansion:

(20) Hyperion 395W panels over two branch circuits; ten panels on each branch circuit
(20) Enphase IQ8PLUS-72-M-US microinverters

The expansion should add the following:

7900 watts generation from panels
6,800 watts additional inverter capacity
24.2 amps

The ground mount for the system is 99 ft from the combiner box (which is located by the utility meter).

I plan to have two runs of 10/2 direct bury cable (placed in conduit at the ends) between the ground mount junction box and the existing combiner box.

I will also upgrade the safety cut off switch from 30 amps to 60 amps by replacing the fuses.

I will also upgrade the PV breaker on my panel from 40 amps to 60 amps.

Questions:

Do you see any problems with this plan?

When I submit the preliminary site review request to Entergy Arkansas, I need to specify a “Capacity Factor.” The original system has a capacity factor of 14.550. How do I calculate the capacity factor for the expansion?

Thanks in advance.

diy solar

diy solar
Back