diy solar

diy solar

Corrections required from DIY solar in Orange County, CA - Enphase Microinverter system

skyc

I've installed a 22 panel SILFAB 410BG with Enphase IQ8 Microinverters, configured in two equal strings connected to an Enphase Combiner IQ 5. I had my inspection yesterday with the following notes from the inspector and wondering if I could get some help on the following two items:

*IRREVERSIBLE CRIMP (CTAP)
Article 250.64 section “C” in 2019 CA Electrical code says grounding shall be Continuous. Except as provided in 250.30(A)(5) and (A)(6), 250.30(B)(1), and 250.68(C), grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be installed in one continuous length without a splice or joint. If necessary, splices or connections shall be made as permitted in (1) through (4): (1) Splicing of the wire-type grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted only by irreversible compression-type connectors listed as grounding and bonding equipment or by the exothermic welding process. (2) Sections of bus bars shall be permitted to be connected together to form a grounding electrode conductor. (3) Bolted, riveted, or welded connections of structural metal frames of buildings or structures. (4) Threaded, welded, brazed, soldered or bolted-flange connections of metal water piping.
He mentioned requiring this in the rooftop junction box between the solid copper from the mounting rails, connecting to the stranded wire running back to the combiner box, and also in bonding the ground in the combiner box to the ground wire that is running to the panel from the combiner. I'm seeing some crimps, but I'm not sure what my options are here and if anyone has a picture / link to some DIY options that don't require a large crimping device? Does option 2 in the quoted code not include the neutral bus bars in the combiner box / junction box that the grounds are attached via screw?

* 690.12 RAPID SHUTDOWN OF PV SYSTEMS: PV SYSTEM CIRCUITS INSTALLED ON OR IN A BUILDING SHALL INCLUDE A RAPID SHUTDOWN FUNCTION TO REDUCE SHOCK HAZARD FOR FIREFIGHTERS IN ACCORDANCE WITH 690.12 (A) THROUGH (D).
From everything I'm seeing from Enphase, the rapid shutdown function is provided by loss of grid power or flipping the breaker to the combiner box and an external shutdown switch isn't required unless required by AHJ. I provided the inspector the Enphase technical brief for AC disconnecting means explainging that they confirm to rapid shutdown and he said he would review and not put it in the correction notes if that was adequate, but he mentioned the shutdown in the follow-up notes. Has anyone in Orange County, CA not had to install an external rapid shutdown switch and just label the breaker? If I do install one, any preference on where it goes in the system? Before or after the combiner box, doesn't seem like it would really matter.

I've installed a 22 panel SILFAB 410BG with Enphase IQ8 Microinverters, configured in two equal strings connected to an Enphase Combiner IQ 5. I had my inspection yesterday with the following notes from the inspector and wondering if I could get some help on the following two items:

He mentioned requiring this in the rooftop junction box between the solid copper from the mounting rails, connecting to the stranded wire running back to the combiner box, and also in bonding the ground in the combiner box to the ground wire that is running to the panel from the combiner. I'm seeing some crimps, but I'm not sure what my options are here and if anyone has a picture / link to some DIY options that don't require a large crimping device? Does option 2 in the quoted code not include the neutral bus bars in the combiner box / junction box that the grounds are attached via screw?
I think you're stuck with a crimp or exothermic. I'd just suck it up and buy a cheap crimper. I hesitate to argue with the inspector, with the wrong inspector, you risk them "finding" more issues.
From everything I'm seeing from Enphase, the rapid shutdown function is provided by loss of grid power or flipping the breaker to the combiner box and an external shutdown switch isn't required unless required by AHJ. I provided the inspector the Enphase technical brief for AC disconnecting means explainging that they confirm to rapid shutdown and he said he would review and not put it in the correction notes if that was adequate, but he mentioned the shutdown in the follow-up notes. Has anyone in Orange County, CA not had to install an external rapid shutdown switch and just label the breaker? If I do install one, any preference on where it goes in the system? Before or after the combiner box, doesn't seem like it would really matter.
He probably wants to see a big knife switch on the wall. That was required for a long time in many jurisdictions.

For this you need a AC Disconnect. It needs to be on an external wall near your power meter. It should be between your combiner and where ever the combiner is wired into the rest of the system. They also require proper labeling. If your combiner box is inside you can go through the back of the box to the outside, and then right back in again. The more recent NEC includes a requirement for "Rapid Shut Down". With string inverters you can have hundreds of volts that will be on the roof and the only way to kill that is to break the circuit at each individual panel. With micros, just disconnecting them from AC will cause them to shut down.

Thanks, ordered some crimps, cheap crimper, and the typical knife switch to add - hopefully does the trick.
where are you at ? Northern CA ? I was recently surprised at a couple of my neighbors' (Santa Cruz Mtn) commercial/professional installation without the big disconnect knife switch. Both are using Enphase micros. I thought perhaps it's the new code. Good luck.

Back