diy solar

diy solar

Failed Inspection - need some advice and guidance for NEC 690 infractions.

meager

Quick background. I live in central Colorado with plenty of land and it is completely off grid. I've been building out my ground mount solar system for the last several weeks and thought everything was going great. That is, until the inspection...of course. I'll try and keep this post as concise as possible and hope for some input. Hopefully, some of my failures will help others as well.

This systems is working far beyond my expectations so far and I'm very thankful for that. I just cannot get this inspector out of my hair and I need to lean on some experts here.

Why am I getting my off-grid system permitted and inspected? Apparently, in Colorado, it is a MUST. Essentially, I cannot build my home without a permitted system.

I have probably already lost a few readers, so I'll highlight the 3 major infractions right here, and add more details below.
  • PV system DC circuits that exceed 30VDC run inside a building shall be contained in a metal raceway. 690.31 D
  • Equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the PV source conductors and the bonding requirements of 250.97 apply with voltages over 250V, exposed non current-carrying metal parts of PV electrical equipment and enclosures shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. 690.43
  • PV source conductors operating at voltages over 30VDC and readily accessible must be gaurded. 690.31 A

Here is my "point to point" that was submitted and approved. I had to make some minor adjustments along the way before it was officially approved, but everything is reflected in the diagram. I wired it EXACTLY to specifications detail in this point to point. The only variance is that I added a 400amp busbar for the battery connections. The inspector didn't give two craps about any of the battery side of things. I think I could have wired them together with coat hangers and bubble gum and he wouldn't have batted an eye.
1691452693309.png
Here is a pic inside the powershed from a few days ago when the it was fully wired up ready for inspection. Ignore the exposed AC outlets...its still a work in progress.
1691454476698.jpeg1691454563159.jpeg

Here are the 12 items I failed on. Most of them are super easy fixes and simple oversight on my behalf. #3, #4 and #5 are fairly major.

1. Back-fed inverter output breaker in AC panel, tie down required 408.36 D
    • Fixed this by ordering a Homeline Back-Fed Main Breaker Barrier from Home Depot
  2. Green bonding screw required in inverter output panel. 250.28
    • Whoops. Total rookie mistake. Fixed this by installing bonding screw that was just sitting in the panel :)
  3. PV system DC circuits that exceed 30VDC run inside a building shall be contained in a metal raceway. 690.31 D
    • OMG! Seriously? I've yet to see an online video where the entirety of the PV DC circuit is encased in metal from the point of entry. Most installations are very similar to mine. I've used liquid-tight for everything and it all needs to be replaced with metal conduit...including my 1-1/2in Sched 80 entry and junction box. I've done my best to figure out an exemption for this, but I can't find one. I have to assume that others here have come across this. I still haven't figured out how / where to transition from PVC to MC. This is going to be quite a cluster indeed.
  4. Equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the PV source conductors and the bonding requirements of 250.97 apply with voltages over 250V, exposed non current-carrying metal parts of PV electrical equipment and enclosures shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. 690.43
    • This one has me very puzzled and I need help...please! I simply cannot figure out exactly what the infraction is. I try to get answers from the inspector, but he simply cannot / will not offer any suggestions. He basically says "refer to the NEC handbook for the code". He claims there needs to be an additional ground wire from the inverter to the common ground. The EG4 6500's only have AC-in ground and AC-out ground. I have AC-out ground going directly to the load center as illustrated in the above point to point, which ultimately goes out to earth ground just outside the shed. I know for fact that the inverter case is fully grounded. We even did a continuity test to prove it was when he came out. I even had some back and forth emails with a Signature Solar technician and he has no clue what to think of it.
    • The inspector did email me back for this infraction and referred me to this posting as a reference on how to "fix" this infraction, but reading it leaves me even further in the dark.
  5. PV source conductors operating at voltages over 30VDC and readily accessible must be guarded. 690.31 A
    • This infraction is in regards to the very small length (less than 1ft) of PV wire I have "exposed" from the top of the DC disconnect to the bottom of the inverter. I didn't know it needed to be "guarded". Apparently, this does NOT have to be metal conduit based on the very vague answer he gave me when he was on site. All of this "guarding" is going to make it difficult to rearrange stuff when I either see fit to do so...or worst case, in an emergency where I have to move stuff around for various reasons. Not cool at all!
  6. Show ground lugs at array are listed for PV 690.43 B
    • I cannot find evidence that the ones I ordered on Amazon are listed...so I have to replace all 20 lugs with "listed" lugs. Lame!
  7. Show OCPD's are listed at array. 110.3
    • Turns out that Amazon is not a good place to find listed DC breakers. The DC breakers I have in my point to point above (at the array) where shot down because they only meet the IEC60947-2 standard. They are NOT listed and I have to order new ones that are. That being said, I guess avoid purchasing these breakers if you plan on getting your system inspected.
    • 1691456663307.jpeg
  8. PV source voltage and current label required at locations listed in. 690.53
    • I have tons of PV stickers, I just didn't know exactly where to put them. Now I do...sort of. I get the idea behind the stickers, but I assure you I've yet to meet a fire fighter that is going to take the time to read them.
  9. AC output voltage and current label required. 690.54
    • Same as above (#8)
  10. Light over AC panel required inside power shed. 110.26 D
    • Although I certainly planned on adding lighting inside the shed, I didn't realize it was a requirement. I'll just add a light before next inspection.
  11. Supplemental grounding electrode required at power shed 690.47 (250.53 A 2)
    • Once again, this is an example of my diagram passing with the inspectors blessing, but when he showed up onsite, he failed for it. I went ahead and added a supplemental rod 8 feet from the other ground rod just outside the power shed.
  12. Drive ground rods flush or below grade. 250.53 A 4
    • Easy fix. Just hammered to flush.

Last edited:
PV system DC circuits that exceed 30VDC run inside a building shall be contained in a metal raceway. 690.31 D
Put your PV wires in EMT inside the building.

Equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the PV source conductors and the bonding requirements of 250.97 apply with voltages over 250V, exposed non current-carrying metal parts of PV electrical equipment and enclosures shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. 690.43
I assume they are talking about Raceways, boxes you have things in must have a ground lug with ground wire back to main grounding source.

• PV source conductors operating at voltages over 30VDC and readily accessible must be gaurded. 690.31 A
No idea unless it means covered.

I’m sure some of the electricians on here can tell you more.

I still haven't figured out how / where to transition from PVC to MC.
At where or before it enters the building.
Equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the PV source conductors and the bonding requirements of 250.97
The PV (framing) grounding conductor is to be ran along side of the PV circuit wires, all of the way to the SCC (in your case the AIO).
PV source conductors operating at voltages over 30VDC and readily accessible must be guarded. 690.31 A
Unguarded is the infraction.
But be aware that, the only allowed covering inside of the building is metal raceway.

• OMG! Seriously? I've yet to see an online video where the entirety of the PV DC circuit is encased in metal from the point of entry. Most installations are very similar to mine. I've used liquid-tight for everything and it all needs to be replaced with metal conduit...including my 1-1/2in Sched 80 entry and junction box. I've done my best to figure out an exemption for this, but I can't find one. I have to assume that others here have come across this. I still haven't figured out how / where to transition from PVC to MC. This is going to be quite a cluster indeed.

Plenty of posts about this on the forum if you go looking... Personally I always like the installations with wireways + EMT into inverters and disconnects, over what you see in videos. This is a pretty reconfigurable, albeit expensive and timeconsuming to build in the first place, installation.

Keep in mind in videos the goal is not to pass inspection, it's in large part to be able to reconfigure system for testing equipment. Very few of, EG will's, videos are inspected. Probably close to zero.

Why don't you swap everything inside the building to FMC? And any hard PVC to EMT.

There is also LFMC for outdoors. Not sure where metal requirement starts.

Equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the PV source conductors and the bonding requirements of 250.97 apply with voltages over 250V, exposed non current-carrying metal parts of PV electrical equipment and enclosures shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor. 690.43
  • This one has me very puzzled and I need help...please! I simply cannot figure out exactly what the infraction is. I try to get answers from the inspector, but he simply cannot / will not offer any suggestions. He basically says "refer to the NEC handbook for the code". He claims there needs to be an additional ground wire from the inverter to the common ground. The EG4 6500's only have AC-in ground and AC-out ground. I have AC-out ground going directly to the load center as illustrated in the above point to point, which ultimately goes out to earth ground just outside the shed. I know for fact that the inverter case is fully grounded. We even did a continuity test to prove it was when he came out. I even had some back and forth emails with a Signature Solar technician and he has no clue what to think of it.

Can you ask inspector to circle the parts in a photo of your system that are busted? Also that 2008 reference doc makes things more painful than it needs to be, code has been relaxed since then.

In your picture I can see that you do not have EGC going parallel to those exposed PV+/PV-, so when you redo those in FMC you would run a EGC (of appropriate size, probably #10 is fine). This also is not done in the schematic on your plans. You can potentially bond through the FMC, but there are restrictions on how much FMC can be used as EGC within a circuit. With an inspector checking to this extent, just run an EGC.

Also you should be pretty wary for your own personal safety of 300V loose DC wires hanging out like that.

Best check with the inspector whether there is an exemption in your area for plastic disconnect boxes inside the house. I think most people have these on the exterior of the building.

I still haven't figured out how / where to transition from PVC to MC.
At where or before it enters the building.
If you have an exterior disconnect, that is an easy place to change from the pvc to EMT, if no exterior disconnect, use an LB at the wall, pvc comes up into the LB and EMT goes into the building.

If that flex conduit is all plastic you will need to replace it with metal conduit or metal flex.

Probably cheaper to use EMT from j-box to disconnect and use metal flex between disconnect and AIO. Use grounding bushings on all the box connectors and run the ground wire in every conduit. Or run the PV in a 4x4 scww /gutter across the wall and feed the shut down switches from that with a short piece of metal flex.

The more professional the installation looks the less issues the inspector is likely to fine. I regularly got my permits signed off with a cursory inspection or a "is it all good?". But my company was well known in the building department for the quality of our work. YMMV

Use grounding bushings on all the box connectors
Is this a code requirement or virtue signaling to the inspector? I’ve seen it done by some installers but it seems major overkill esp with metal boxes and separate EGC run in each conduit.

I can sort of see this being an issue if the EGC is cosplaying as a GEC, but I thought those rules were relaxed years ago

I started my system in 2000 with 24v arrays, then later went to 48v. Arrays over 48v needed the metal, while I had installed 1" PVC conduit. Due to many refactorings, no it has not been inspected.

so when/if I do then the PVC will be a problem, darn

My stuff is all outdoors.
I used rigid metal conduit, and liquid-tight flexible metal, for AC and DC.
The wiring boxes people have under inverters looks convenient. I used conduit and Tee bodies.
Only place I used a box was over top of one breaker panel, to hold some DIN relays.
My only exposed insulated wires are PV cables at array, and battery cables.

Maybe you should just get a big spool of flexible metal conduit (maybe two sizes) and use that everywhere you've got wires exposed.
Trick will be making sure it is grounded when connecting to plastic boxes. Ground wire running through, and ground metal conduit at one end (hopefully a metal box.)

Is this a code requirement or virtue signaling to the inspector? I’ve seen it done by some installers but it seems major overkill esp with metal boxes and separate EGC run in each conduit.

I can sort of see this being an issue if the EGC is cosplaying as a GEC, but I thought those rules were relaxed years ago

I would certainly want the conduit grounded somehow. I'd think a toothed nut is sufficient. I know some bushings have a lug for ground wire, maybe that will be needed if running between two plastic boxes (are those allowed indoors?)

Last edited:
Oh God the forum software doesn't like how I chopped up your post to respond to pieces.
PV system DC circuits that exceed 30VDC run inside a building shall be contained in a metal raceway. 690.31 D
Just to be clear, this is DC PV only, bot AC.
Pretty sure this is the ground from the actual panels to your main, not the inverters.

1. Show ground lugs at array are listed for PV 690.43 B
    • I cannot find evidence that the ones I ordered on Amazon are listed...so I have to replace all 20 lugs with "listed" lugs.
What lugs are these? The ground lugs on the PV racking? If you are using real PV racking manu of the mounts I've seen bond the panels to the rails, meaning you only need one ground lug per row on panels. Not one per panel

Here’s what my setup looks like as far as raceways. Greenfield for the DC and a raceway for the AC side. I don’t have a legal requirement to comply with the NEC or any inspectors but it was done to standard as it’s best practices. (Except batteries as they are DIY but I trust REC over most UL approved system):

IMG_5828.jpeg

Future additions will generally comply too except for maybe rapid shutdown if I ever do roof mount (complexity in a system; not a fan).

I know some bushings have a lug for ground wire, maybe that will be needed if running between two plastic boxes (are those allowed indoors?)
...and even if they were allowed indoors, would you want them? Metal makes the grounding easier to do through each box.

{For the Canucks reading along, per the Canadian Elect Code, these have to be metal, and grounded, DC cables indoors have to be in EMT or metal flex (Teck Cable)}

I would certainly want the conduit grounded somehow. I'd think a toothed nut is sufficient. I know some bushings have a lug for ground wire, maybe that will be needed if running between two plastic boxes (are those allowed indoors?)

Just remembered that Bonding bushing (for bonding conduit and boxes) may be required for voltage above a threshold and certain kinds of boxes/knockout types (due to lower bonding reliability with bonding through concentric/non concentric type knockouts IIRC). Those higher voltages are common in DC.

If you’re running plastic boxes, definitely need to bond those conduits.

Also with regard to FMC, there is a trade size below which you are explicitly required under article 690 to provide extra physical protection when they enclose DC. Hopefully someone here has a code reference to what that size is.

They're not necessarily required on every installation but can be in some situations over 250 volts. The metal conduit has to be electrically bonded to ground. That won't happen with plastic enclosures (or non approved metal). Easy way is just to loop the ground conductor through a lug on a bushing.

They're not necessarily required on every installation but can be in some situations over 250 volts. The metal conduit has to be electrically bonded to ground. That won't happen with plastic enclosures (or non approved metal). Easy way is just to loop the ground conductor through a lug on a bushing.

OK, that makes sense. For some reason every other week I forget about the 250V rule :LOL: Probably because mostly I work with 240VAC solar, and I've know one company in my state that does microinverter installs where they are religious about redundantly bonding on both ends of many, many conduit runs (very responsible of them)... but then regularly leave N-G bonded in the subpanel, use the wrong sized breakers, and don't torque anything (if they were going to use all that extra labor... why didn't they use that in code compliance/preventing overheating at terminals)

This post just made me realize I'm not sure how a Victron charge controller can pass since there is no way that I can think of to have the 30VDC+ PV wire enclosed in a metal raceway. The controller expects only the cables themselves to entire the bottom of the controller.

This post just made me realize I'm not sure how a Victron charge controller can pass since there is no way that I can think of to have the 30VDC+ PV wire enclosed in a metal raceway. The controller expects only the cables themselves to entire the bottom of the controller.
Are they UL listed?

You can probably sleeve an appropriately sized box or EMT (with those insulated bushings) to abut the box.

Back