diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LifePower4 no UL Label - Failed Inspection

Axotopia

I am wondering if anyone else is having EG4 LifePower4 failing Electrical Inspections. Just failed Inspection on the Solar PV System install this week. The inspector noted that the (8) LifePower4 I installed do not have UL or other NRTL labels on the batteries.

Inspector noted without an UL or other NRTL label, these batteries are not legal to install in Washington State per the NEC and WA State Code.

Told the Inspector that the LifePower4 are advertised as UL 1973 Listed and UL 9540A compliant. Showed him the Spec sheet from the website and even the UL Certificate of Compliance (MH65889) from EG4. This is when it was noted the UL Certificate states an affixed UL label on the battery is a requirement for UL Listing to be complete:
"Only those products bearing the UL Recognized Component Mark should be considered as being UL Certified... "

I contacted Signature Solar a few days ago and still waiting to hear back. The phone call that day indicated that from Signature Solar's end, the LifePower4 does not ship with UL labels on the battery. Told them that this means the LifePower4 are not UL listed as advertised. Suggested to Signature Solar that all I need are labels to be sent to me to pass inspection, but response was that option is not available. I was told they will discuss my case with EG4.

So ... while urgently waiting for a response from EG4/Signature Solar, I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if there is a way to resolve it.

I greatly appreciate your feedback or suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
I am wondering if anyone else is having EG4 LifePower4 failing Electrical Inspections. Just failed Inspection on the Solar PV System install this week. The inspector noted that the (8) LifePower4 I installed do not have UL or other NRTL labels on the batteries.

Inspector noted without an UL or other NRTL label, these batteries are not legal to install in Washington State per the NEC and WA State Code.

Told the Inspector that the LifePower4 are advertised as UL 1973 Listed and UL 9540A compliant. Showed him the Spec sheet from the site and even the UL Certificate of Compliance (MH65889) from EG4. This is when it was noted the UL Certificate states an affixed UL label on the battery is a requirement for UL Listing to be complete:
"Only those products bearing the UL Recognized Component Mark should be considered as being UL Certified... "

I contacted Signature Solar a few days ago and still waiting to hear back. The phone call that day indicated that from Signature Solar's end, the LifePower4 does not ship with UL labels on the battery. Told them that this means the LifePower4 are not UL listed as advertised. Suggested to Signature Solar that all I need are labels to be sent to me to pass inspection, but response was that option is not available. I was told they will discuss my case with EG4.

So ... while urgently waiting for a response from EG4/Signature Solar, I would like to know if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if there is a way to resolve it.

I greatly appreciate your feedback or suggestions. Thank you.
Hi @Axotopia I've sent you a DM! I'd like to try and get this resolved for you ASAP!

I appreciate you helping him, but a whole lot of us have these batteries, does your assistance need to be private ?
I'll post an update after EG4 contacts me on a way forward.

The UL Label requirement appears to be of the standard checklist items for my area, could be a recent change. The Electrical Inspector was looking at every single piece of equipment for a Nationally Recognized Testing Lab (NRTL) label like UL, ETL etc ... not just inverter, but also the PV panels, Tigo RSD, PV grounding clamps, DC disconnects etc.

Last edited:
I appreciate you helping him, but a whole lot of us have these batteries, does your assistance need to be private ?
We can definitely update you here! It's best to keep personal information private while we figure out what exactly we're looking at. He stated he had already reached out to us, so it's also best to keep everything on the same ticket ?

Any update on this? There must be thousands who are using these in areas where UL listing/stickers are a requirement?

Normally the UL Listing and paperwork to prove the are UL is enough.

Some AHJs want to see the sticker no matter what and those cases i can count on my hand. There have been very minimal calls for this.

The New Lifepowers we received recently are UL Stickered now for these small cases like above.

I've got an upcoming inspection on my newly installed items. What steps does one need to take to get this sticker? I just looked any my 6 don't have it.

I've got an upcoming inspection on my newly installed items. What steps does one need to take to get this sticker? I just looked any my 6 don't have it.
I just got permits approved as well, inspection will likely be in a few weeks. Hoping this isn't flagged for mine! lol

Providing the UL Listed paper work available on the EG4 website has worked in 99% of these cases.

If you need a actual sticker this can not be done anywhere but a UL listed facility.

Just go and buy a cheap set of Christmas tree lights and steal the sticker from those, for some bizarre reason they always have them and they look fantastic with their 3D hologram lol
That is funny but an incredibly bad idea In real life unless your related to the inspector and he’s especially fond of your side of the family.

I wonder if you were a solar contractor the inspector knew would he enforce that label.

I noticed the only EG-4 battery approved on the California Energy commission website is the WP-16/280 looks like a golf cart battery. AZ utilities require the battery to be CEC approved.

AZ utilities require the battery to be CEC approved.
Which Utility? I couldn't find anything in APS's interconnection agreement referencing CEC, and even my Pain-in-the-ass utility (Xcel Energy) Only requires the panels and inverters to be CEC Listed. Batteries/Energy Storage just has to be UL Listed.

I mean, they wouldn't even be able to install Standalone powerwalls in AZ with that standard (The Powerwall is only CEC listed with the gateway as a Power Control System, not as Battery or ESS).

Which Utility? I couldn't find anything in APS's interconnection agreement referencing CEC, and even my Pain-in-the-ass utility (Xcel Energy) Only requires the panels and inverters to be CEC Listed. Batteries/Energy Storage just has to be UL Listed.

I mean, they wouldn't even be able to install Standalone powerwalls in AZ with that standard (The Powerwall is only CEC listed with the gateway as a Power Control System, not as Battery or ESS).
Yep, I know it's little tricks they use to hinder someone and make it more expensive. They replied to my email saying their list is based on the CEC list see below. They don't have to put it in the agreement simply refuse to approve the design. I haven't gone any further with them but according to this post from someone who just finished installing a battery and solar system in SRP also require multiple meters to monitor not only power flowing from the grid also the power you are generating and storing. He had to install 2 extra meters. I haven't asked them about those extra meters I'm assuming that is to monitor you and keep you from adding extra batteries later on. I don't know if APS also requires this, but I would not be surprised generally SRP gets their ideas from APS since they are the larger utility. Utilites see solar as a threat I understand the problem have someone paying $0 electric bill, yet they are required to pay for all that infrastructure to maintain a 24/7 48k watts of power to your home. They can produce power for 2 cents a KW don't want to buy your power. I was just reading that cities require you to maintain a connection if you live in the city not allowed to go completely off grid. I suppose could just shut off the service my understanding that if the property is occupied your required to maintain power. I really want to move to Greenlee County no codes or zoning it's actually one of only handful in the entire country.

Attachments

• 2023-12-19 14_58_36-inbox.jpg
    2023-12-19 14_58_36-inbox.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Providing the UL Listed paper work available on the EG4 website has worked in 99% of these cases.

If you need a actual sticker this can not be done anywhere but a UL listed facility.

No sweat!

All you have to do is expedite ship replacement equipment with UL sticker to your customers, and provide free return shipping for the non-compliant equipment you previously sold them as UL Listed.

Customer Service means making it right for the customer, every time. Especially when the customer is right.

(I like to say, "It's only money." If you can solve a problem just by throwing some money at it, that is much better than problems you don't know how to, or don't have the manpower for.)

I'm interested too, as I just installed these batteries as well. However, I will say that my local inspectors got a full package of data from me when I did an earlier system and they accepted the printouts and didn't even look at the equipment for the markings.

how did this turn out?
Update:

The Electrical Inspector just inspected and approved the batteries 30mins ago.

Signature Solar (SS) had been exceptionally supportive and responsive throughout the process of exchanging the LifePower4s with units that has UL listing factory printed on the chassis. Have to thank the entire team at SS for pulling thru for me, which I was not expecting; even the Electrical Inspector today commented he was impressed.

SS's communication was very expeditious once I got on the radar. The turn around once SS received my RMA units was also quick. The reason it took a while was that there were multiple unforeseen delays. The RMA freight back to SS was during the X'Mas-NY holiday season, and SS replacement unit freight to me was hit by winter weather delays. Also had some personal obligations that delayed my Electrical Inspection.

20/20 hindsight, if you are having your solar install inspected by local AHJ, and anticipate needing UL labels on components, be it batteries or inverters, it is best to correspond with SS's Sales team to verify what you absolutely need before placing an order. Don't rely on the literature downloads as I have learned, there may be multiple versions of the same product that could get shipped. This probably is true for other companies as well.

The original LifePower4 units I received worked really well and all cells were all well balanced. It was definitely a hassle having to disassemble the batteries from the racks, packing them safely onto pallets, and living without batteries for 6 weeks. Hard to anticipate for first-timer DIY and nuances of different Electrical Inspectors, but hopefully wiser going forward.

Lastly, I would like to express my deep gratitude to everyone at Signature Solar for helping out.

Back