diy solar

diy solar

The Chargeverter, the NEC and "listing" - (Seeking code guidance)

itech20

As many of you may know, the EG4 "Chargeverter" is a neat device that allows dirty power to quickly charge batteries.

Unfortunately, it is not UL listed, nor does it carry any other listing mark or testing assertion.

The short version of the question: Is there any scenario in which it can be integrated into a PV + storage system that must be inspected and comply with the NEC?

Having spent some time reading what I think are the relevant sections in the free online browser, I fear the answer is no. However, I'd value some confirmation from the knowledgeable crew here on the forums. (And apologies if this has been clearly answer elsewhere before. I've done a fair amount of searching and haven't found an ironclad answer.)

Some further digression:

It's made clear, in several places, that listing is not a global requirement of the NEC, but is explicitly required for various types of equipment.

The relevant entries in the 2023 code I've browsed online would seem to be either Article 706 - Energy Storage Systems or Article 480 - Stationary Standby Batteries. In fact, given the phrasing, it's almost certainly 706 that would be relevant, as it applies to systems intended for regular use rather than standby/emergency use.

Regardless, in each place, broadly, there seems to be a listing requirement.

480.3 Equipment. Storage batteries and battery management equipment shall be listed.

706.5 Listing. Energy storage systems shall be listed.

So, that's basically it, yeah? If you do an install and are going to be inspected somewhere that bases its code on the NEC, the unlisted Chargeverter cannot be part of your setup.

AHJ has the final say. Best to contact them
Fully understood. I actually had a great lengthy conversation with the regional inspector about the potential system configuration. He was not 100% certain about the listing of external chargers in particular (and he had just finished a week of continuing education on the 2023 update to the NEC). I'm trying to do some additional homework and also seek out any other interpretations folks may be familiar with.

The short version of the question: Is there any scenario in which it can be integrated into a PV + storage system that must be inspected and comply with the NEC?
Sort answer is yes.
As long as you leave the cord end on it. (Not hardwired into the system)
It's a portable appliance. And not subject to the inspection of the system.
If you are concerned about an overly anal inspector.
Leave it out, until after the inspection is complete.

I'm planning to leave the cordset(s) on the Chargeverter(s) that fits my backup generator(s), and have an optional plug to connect it to the grid for isolated grid charging. Not sure if that helps, as it's a pluggable appliance...

Back