diy solar

diy solar

Farm lighting history, Delco serviceable lead acid

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
Quite a fascinating article from old off grid systems.

Previously I understood the history of off grid power to have started mostly in the 80's with a certain kind of farmer in northern california.

Turns out many other farmers were doing the same before them, like way before them, and they had it quite perfected back then too.

"When a battery arrives at the shipping destination, the person lifting this shipment should remove the slats from the top Of each crate and inspect each cell for. concealed damage, such as breakage: Should any damage be discovered, it is important that a notation covering this damage be made and signed by the freight agent on the freight bill. This will enable the customer or dealer to make a claim against the railroad for the amount of damage. If a notation of this kind is not made before the battery 'is lifted, the dealer will be forced to stand the expense of repairing or replacing the damaged cells."

Thanks for sharing! Actually those farmers date back to the late 70's.

Keep an eye out for a steam tractor show in your area. There might be a guy there with a very impressive collection of DC appliances from the 1930's, 32v I'm pretty sure, that will amaze you.

My father loaded us 3 boys in the car back in the early 80's and we went to visit John Lorenzen. John was probably around 70 at the time.

Got there and first thing John did was start his pickup and started whipping donuts in the pasture. Interesting guy.

Back