diy solar

diy solar

Fast charging EV directly from LiFePO4 battery bank

MaximusAnonus

Hi, with the recent expansion of my off-grid system I will have enough power to fast charge my EV.
At the moment I'm using a bank of 8S LiFePO4 cells with a single phase Victron 5000VA inverter then the OEM Mitsubishi AC 230V (I'm in Europe) 3kW charger to charge my car.
Is it possible to get fast charging without having to buy a huge three phase inverter and then a charger? Cut out the DC>AC>DC conversion and go directly DC>DC. Something that would take the 24V input voltage from the batteries and changed the output to CHAdeMO 2.0?

Also I'm a complete retard and posted into a wrong part of the forum (my intention was to post to offgrid living advice). Please mods move the thread. Thank you.

As mentioned, DC fast charging is around 400v. That's a dangerous amount of volts to handle, so even if it was possible, it's probably not DIY.

Theoretically, it would be possible to connect alot of batteries in series to get 400v, but you would still need a system to communicate with the car, using the Chademo protocol.

So in short no, it's not really feasible.

Back