diy solar

diy solar

First battery build...did I just order the wrong BMS?

Terrapin

Hey all, thanks for the help so far.

I decided tonight to pull the plug and build my first LPO LFP 12v. I am following Will's lead and just ordered a smart BMS based on one of his videos. I did not look close enough and I think I was supposed to order a "4S". does this indicate the number of 3.X volt cells I am putting in series to make the +/-12v battery? My invoice was Emailed showing a "3S" designation.

This was the description of the listing of the item on batteryhookup.com:

Li-ion/Lifepo4 3s-20s 100a BMS W/ LOW TEMP CUTOFF​

If there's a mistake I need to correct please let me know....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you link to the actual BMS you bought? The title you quoted says 3s to 20s does this indicate multiple models or one model that can work with a wide range of options. Some BMSes work with a broad range of pack sizes, some do not.

If you ordered a 3S BMS this is not for LiFePO4 (also side note: not sure what LPO refers to (maybe just a term I don't know), but the most commonly used/understood abbreviations for lithium iron phosphate on this forum are LiFePO4 or LFP)

Can you link to the actual BMS you bought? The title you quoted says 3s to 20s does this indicate multiple models or one model that can work with a wide range of options. Some BMSes work with a broad range of pack sizes, some do not.

If you ordered a 3S BMS this is not for LiFePO4 (also side note: not sure what LPO refers to (maybe just a term I don't know), but the most commonly used/understood abbreviations for lithium iron phosphate on this forum are LiFePO4 or LFP)
Hi thanks,
Here is the order page:

here is a pasted copy of the order confirmation.
Shopping cart
Product imageDescriptionQuantityPrice
Li-ion/Lifepo4 3s-20s 100a BMS W/ LOW TEMP CUTOFF - 4s LifePo4

Li-ion/Lifepo4 3s-20s 100a BMS W/ LOW TEMP CUTOFF4s LifePo41$74.99
Bluetooth Module for Battery Hookup BMS

Bluetooth Module for Battery Hookup BMS1$7.99
Scroll for more items
Cost summary
DescriptionPrice
Subtotal$82.98
Discount DIY- $4.14$4.14 off total order price
Shipping$8.00
TotalUSD $86.84

Maybe you got the right one, its a confusing order screen, if your look at the end of the first line item it mentions (4S LiFePO4):
Screenshot_2021-01-21 First battery build did I just order the wrong BMS .png

This appears to be the default selection in the dropdown list on the product page so if you didn't deliberately select a model, this is probably the model you got.

Log in to your account and look at your order --it will tell you exactly what you purchased
should look like this for Lifepo4

Li-ion/Lifepo4 3s-20s 100a BMS W/ LOW TEMP CUTOFF - 4s LifePo4
Fulfilled January 4, 2021
Track shipment
I could be right then...It was the default. I thought the "3S" designation could be for different build using only 3 cells. It reminded me how i heard configurations of batteries are wired with a quantity and a designation of"P" for parallel, or "S" for series. So seeing 3S I was left wondering if that BMS was for a build for 9volts from 3.2 cells or 23v from four...or whatever.

Maybe you got the right one, its a confusing order screen, if your look at the end of the first line item it mentions (4S LiFePO4):
View attachment 34047

This appears to be the default selection in the dropdown list on the product page so if you didn't deliberately select a model, this is probably the model you got.
Thx again. I hope they call b4 shipping. I ended up sending an Email to them to plz call to confirm what's up and what my confusion is. I do wonder what those designations are if not how many cells it's intended to balance and manage it seems strange that there are no other designations regarding usage, volts, amps. dimensional sizes....nada..... Anyways I will add a resolution post , or maybe a better titled one to steer questions to it better. It's the seller linked in the blueprints here so I can't be the only one this will hit.

I could be right then...It was the default. I thought the "3S" designation could be for different build using only 3 cells. It reminded me how i heard configurations of batteries are wired with a quantity and a designation of"P" for parallel, or "S" for series. So seeing 3S I was left wondering if that BMS was for a build for 9volts from 3.2 cells or 23v from four...or whatever.
Yes, you are right about the meaning of P and S, just misreading/misinterpreting the title (I think). Looks like you got the 4s version (4 x 3.2 = 12.8)
Screenshot_2021-01-21 First battery build did I just order the wrong BMS .png

The 3S-20S is just referencing that they have a range of models from 3S to 20S

Last edited:
Yes, you are right about the meaning of P and S, just misreading/misinterpreting the title (I think). Looks like you got the 4s version (4 x 3.2 = 12.8)
View attachment 34063

The 3S-20S is just referencing that they have a range of models from 3S to 20S
Ahha! and the solar powered lighbulb above my head turns on. Now I see it designated after "cutoff". Cool beans. Thanks for walking me through it Dzi. Safe travels and bright sunshine on your roof.

Reactions: Dzl
Back