diy solar

diy solar

First Datapoint/Review of the cheapest Amazon 100Ah 12V LiFePO4: FEENCE

Leeds

Solar Enthusiast
October 2022

This Chinese FEENCE branded battery is available on Amazon for $279 with free shipping. For comparison Weize is currently $300, AmpereTime is $350. In the weeks since my purchase there is a new slightly cheaper battery by “IOD” that is selling for $259 but someone else is going to have to try that one out this is currently the only cheap LiFePO4 I need.

The reason I was looking for the cheapest battery was that I intend to push this one to its limits over the winter debugging my freeze protection logic. This battery will spend the snowy winter outside as I determine the proper ratio of insulation to heating. I don’t expect to kill the battery, part of the system is a bistable relay cutting off the solar panels that the controller can hit as a last resort if the cold wins the battle over stored joules. That said, I didn’t want to spend more than I had to for a battery I’ll be destroying if I end up getting something wrong over the next few months. ?

To be honest, I expected the FEENCE to be low quality, probably used parts, etc. And the misspelling on the sticker on the side is something that didn’t instill all that much confidence - “Don’t short circuit the terminals with any ‘Matals.’” But to my surprise this FEENCE battery actually seems to meet specs.

I have gone through a few charge and discharge cycles and I’ve been very pleased with the data. I drained it at about .15C (as I don’t have a tool that can pull more amps) but that test showed the battery to be 106.7Ah when it hit the 10.5v cutout. I did a second capacity test at an even lower C rate somewhere around 0.1C or 10A on this battery and it came out at 107.3Ah which seems very reasonable to me as well.

I also left the battery over a weekend while fully charged and sitting on a shelf. On Friday morning I took the battery off the system as the charge controller had stopped putting amps in and the battery measured 14.6v. Over the next 5 disconnected hours the voltage only dropped to 14.11 and three days later it had dropped all the way down to 13.84v, still slightly higher than I’d expected. This battery doesn’t seem to sag when left alone.

Now the downside- I was a bit concerned when the battery started bulging about the middle after the first few thermal cycles. But the plastic case seems to be pretty thin and it seems likely that the inside foam was just compressed a bit too much and they won out against the thin sidewall the first or second time the battery was warmed by the sun. Both capacity tests were run after this bulging and I have since shrugged it off entirely as a thin-walled packaging issue, not a cell-swelling issue.

The info on Amazon suggests that this battery has a 100A BMS, can be run in up to 4s8p configurations and can be discharged at 1C. I won’t comment more on that stuff as I’m not cutting into this one any time soon to verify any of it. But it does seem to boast of all the stuff one would want them to boast about except of course freeze protection.

If this battery fails on its own I’ll let you all know but so far it’s been a more pleasant experience than I was expecting. After two weeks I give it a solid A.

The resistor-wire heater and insulation are now rigged up. Time to commence thermal testing

Attachments

• PXL_20221030_184837857~2.jpg
    PXL_20221030_184837857~2.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 33
Still going strong. The battery heating experiments have been coming along nicely.

I've found that with the foam insulation I maintain about 2° rise above ambient for every watt of power I apply to the heater.

I have a 6w heater so in theory I don't have to tell the CC to turn off unless it's colder than about 20°F. In my next iteration I'll probably use about 10w worth of heating wire so that I only rarely would have to suspend charging.

But as to the battery itself, it's plugging along just fine. Even in these freezing temps. :)

IMO the Vestwoods is still one of the best deals with BT and low temp protection.

Just a couple of points. There is a guy that has a sailing forum that is an electrical engineer. He was doing some consulting with these folks and he suggested the misspelling of the name so it didn't get confused with electric fence batteries so what looks to be a misspelling is actually a purposeful thing. He also did a review of an early version of this battery which has apparently been upgraded since.
As Clark says, it ain't the best, but it is adequate as long as you can live without low temp protection. He is also doing a series on cheap batteries which may be of interest to some folks.

IMO the Vestwoods is still one of the best deals with BT and low temp protection.
New lower price. The 250ah 200A bms is now $530. Prices have really fallen. If the economy gets worse I think prices will fall further. Sales of electric cars in China are slowing and no longer growing. Sales of cars in the US are also falling. This should lead to lower prices for batteries.

Vestwoods battery link. https://a.co/d/4IlhYqE

October 2022

This Chinese FEENCE branded battery is available on Amazon for $279 with free shipping. For comparison Weize is currently $300, AmpereTime is $350. In the weeks since my purchase there is a new slightly cheaper battery by “IOD” that is selling for $259 but someone else is going to have to try that one out this is currently the only cheap LiFePO4 I need.

The reason I was looking for the cheapest battery was that I intend to push this one to its limits over the winter debugging my freeze protection logic. This battery will spend the snowy winter outside as I determine the proper ratio of insulation to heating. I don’t expect to kill the battery, part of the system is a bistable relay cutting off the solar panels that the controller can hit as a last resort if the cold wins the battle over stored joules. That said, I didn’t want to spend more than I had to for a battery I’ll be destroying if I end up getting something wrong over the next few months. ?

To be honest, I expected the FEENCE to be low quality, probably used parts, etc. And the misspelling on the sticker on the side is something that didn’t instill all that much confidence - “Don’t short circuit the terminals with any ‘Matals.’” But to my surprise this FEENCE battery actually seems to meet specs.

I have gone through a few charge and discharge cycles and I’ve been very pleased with the data. I drained it at about .15C (as I don’t have a tool that can pull more amps) but that test showed the battery to be 106.7Ah when it hit the 10.5v cutout. I did a second capacity test at an even lower C rate somewhere around 0.1C or 10A on this battery and it came out at 107.3Ah which seems very reasonable to me as well.

I also left the battery over a weekend while fully charged and sitting on a shelf. On Friday morning I took the battery off the system as the charge controller had stopped putting amps in and the battery measured 14.6v. Over the next 5 disconnected hours the voltage only dropped to 14.11 and three days later it had dropped all the way down to 13.84v, still slightly higher than I’d expected. This battery doesn’t seem to sag when left alone.

Now the downside- I was a bit concerned when the battery started bulging about the middle after the first few thermal cycles. But the plastic case seems to be pretty thin and it seems likely that the inside foam was just compressed a bit too much and they won out against the thin sidewall the first or second time the battery was warmed by the sun. Both capacity tests were run after this bulging and I have since shrugged it off entirely as a thin-walled packaging issue, not a cell-swelling issue.

The info on Amazon suggests that this battery has a 100A BMS, can be run in up to 4s8p configurations and can be discharged at 1C. I won’t comment more on that stuff as I’m not cutting into this one any time soon to verify any of it. But it does seem to boast of all the stuff one would want them to boast about except of course freeze protection.

If this battery fails on its own I’ll let you all know but so far it’s been a more pleasant experience than I was expecting. After two weeks I give it a solid A.
These things are now $205 shipped to your door, almost broke the $200 threshold. And they appear to be an OK battery to boot.

I have ten years experience in lithium battery, I recommed everyone choose lithium battery like 12V 100Ah, if the manufacture can use the 4S1P,single lithium battery could be 3.2V 100Ah, the 12V battery would be your priority choice.

diy solar

diy solar
Back