diy solar

diy solar

First LifePO4 Battery Build - Thoughts and Q's on Shunts

ryankenn

I finished my first every battery that I am planning on using for powering our trailer at the park, as the park power is so bad. This will be charged by the shown MeanWell charger and around 800W of solar. I made a wood box, with threaded rod, and mounted the BMS up top on small rubber spacers so there is 1/4" of airspace under it. We are pulling at most 150A, so from the battery to the BMS I have dual 2AWG wires. From the not shown terminal blocks to the inverter will be 2/0 single.

These are Envision 305AH from 18650 and came pretty bloated at 70% charge level, but reading and talking with them I am going ahead with them. I didn't tighten them in there to compress then, they are snug but still gaps around the edges. There are sheets in between the cells. Its a JK BMS with 2A balancing.

Any glaring issues you see from the pics? This will be in a larger enclosure on the site, never moving save for the beginning and end of seasons. This is my first ever build so I have a couple of issues and questions:

1) The JK app even though I have the output, charge and balancing set to ON in control, the status screen shows balancing OFF. Now the cells are all within the .010V balancing setting so my thought was maybe balancing would show off in Status until the system is outside that and actually having to balance, is that correct?

2) I have multiple shunts. In the final install there will be a 200A one between the battery and terminal block, but they were so cheap I bought a few my thought being I could use them to have three displays showing the battery info, one that showed me charge current from the MeanWell, one that showed charge current from the Solar Charge Controller. But in this config in the pic, I put it on the negative terminal of the charger and hooked up the leads, but it doesn't show the correct current. I says 18A but the JK and my hook meter show correctly 37A during full charge. Can I put the shunt on the positive lead of the charger to correctly see the current flowing out or will that not work?

3) I have a 200A DC circuit breaker for the battery. I also have fusing for the solar and Meanwell, but should I put that breaker between the battery and the terminal block, or the terminal block and the inverter?

Let me know what you think. It was nerve racking hooking this all up but to see it working and charging I am getting excited to see if this all works for me.

IMG_0935.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0937.jpg

So I started a discharge test and moved the shunt on the battery negative and its again only shows 50% of the discharge current. I'm pulling 6A (its the small tester) but it show 3A. Voltage shows correctly. Any idea why? I have the leads they show on the back where they say to be, blue closest to the battery, yellow closest to the load. The only thing I did to save a connecter is hook the battery negative and blue to the same post as they would be the same point anyways?

Are you using the correct shunt for the meter? Also I am not sure if you have the amperage and voltage leads in the correct position. Also IIRC some of these have a setting on the meters menu to change them to work with different shunts.

1690750505020.png

Last edited:
You know you might be right. I have a 100A and a 200A shunt, maybe I switched them by accident.

Back