diy solar

diy solar

First System, need advice grounding pathway, race car hauler-RV

AlexBen

I'm building a RV-Car Hauler.
The plan is eventually to have AC with a Mini-split, so the need for a inverter over 1500 watts drove the selection of a 24V battery.

The truck has a liftgate on the back for lifting a race car up into the truck, it has a resettable fuse of 150 amps, hence parallel 24-12-70 amp Orions. There is also a 4 post lift inside, and a winch for disabled cars. all 12V

I would like to incorporate the Red switch that selects between Truck Battery/Alternator or my 24V system, only in the event that I have the 24V system offline for any reason.

I can't risk being unable to load or unload the car off the truck's 12V battery if the 24V goes down.

(There are 3 huge 12V lead/acid batteries for the truck, its a F650, 36 feet long)

But I'm very, very uncertain as to how to ground the 12V side of things. I really have to tie in the chassis ground if the alternator/truck battery is switched on to supply my 12V systems. (I don't care that I would not be running 110 AC in this case, so I don't mind the charger/inverter being offline)

Take it easy on me, first time diagraming something like this, first build. Used Google app. I skipped a lot of the grounds in this diagram to keep it simple. The general plan is for 2/0 for the thick wire, and 4 gauge for the thinner. Adding in the Solar is a while off, as is the Minisplit. Doing it in stages. I did not draw in the AC fuse box, but initially it will really only run a Fridge, maybe some A/V equipment for watching race video or music. I've not looked up the fuses for the 24/2000 or the 150/60 TR yet... but I will

Attachments

• Schematic Huey.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
The plan is eventually to have AC with a Mini-split, so the need for a inverter over 1500 watts drove the selection of a 24V battery.
Any reason you eliminated a 48 volt battery from consideration? There are a lot more options for inverters at that voltage. Also 1500 Watts at 53 volts (nominal voltage of 48 volt battery) is less than 30 Amps.

Back