diy solar

diy solar

Folding rack

MrNatural22

?SW sunshine =⚡️⚡️lit up thru the darkness✌️
Here’s a cheap pvc rack for two 100w flex panels I threw together. But I found out those flex panels are very prone to an early death, even though they weren’t kept full time out in the weather.
I used Suaoki panels. One failed in 2 months and the replacement they sent failed in 1 month. 1 still working but time will tell. No more flex panels. Expensive junk.
But the rack came out durable and easy to setup.
Aluminum framed glass panels are the best for longevity.1A0A43F6-8CD8-4539-A01A-54DFDD6A4D96.jpegE622AA46-D19B-4FEA-9FC6-D58421996393.jpeg8BC1E59F-93B0-466D-90E2-F691D22DD36B.jpegDA8939E2-5DD8-4875-898C-1BB05DAD2970.jpeg0763B886-D079-4988-BD97-F3815CCB88DA.jpeg

I like it. PVC is a great idea. Lightweight, inexpensive and easy to custom cut for whatever size you need. (y)

I can't tell from the photos - how do you keep the two sides on the ground from sliding away from each other?

I can't tell from the photos - how do you keep the two sides on the ground from sliding away from each other?
I usually put a rock or brick on the legs part and something that won’t block the panel in the front. You could put an adjustable strap of some sort on the bottom tubes but it’s so lightweight that a weight of some sort across the legs would keep it from sailing away in the wind. I have also used tent stakes hooked on the legs to secure it down.

Even if they aren't glued together, a tight dry fit wouldn't move around much.

So, still adjustable, and stable as well - nice. I toyed with the idea of building something similar using loose-fitting furniture slip tees for ease of adjustment.

I usually put a rock or brick on the legs part and something that won’t block the panel in the front. You could put an adjustable strap of some sort on the bottom tubes but it’s so lightweight that a weight of some sort across the legs would keep it from sailing away in the wind. I have also used tent stakes hooked on the legs to secure it down.
I like the tent stakes idea, thanks!

Even if they aren't glued together, a tight dry fit wouldn't move around much.

No glue was needed as securing the panels to the front keeps it all together quite well. Plus since the 2 defective flex panels syndrome it allowed me to alter it into a single rack for the one yet to fail easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like overkill to me. I mean, there's absolutely no chance the frame will slip and the panel fall and crack. Never happen. No chance at all. Never hap......... oh nutz.

Sounds like overkill to me. I mean, there's absolutely no chance the frame will slip and the panel fall and crack. Never happen. No chance at all. Never hap......... oh nutz.
LOL yeah and the simple ole brick on the leg or tent stake method keeps it from sailing away.

@MrNatural22 that stand is a great idea! Then I can use zip ties to tie the panel to the frame. I found some reusable zip ties on Aliexpress, they are very handy. They have a special lever to it's easy to undo the zip tie without cutting it. Here's an Aliexpress search.

As for panels failing, what I've noticed with Chinese stuff is most of it is not waterproofed... at all. So I spread 100% silicone along all seams, around all junction boxes on the back of the panel, and all edges of the panel where the frame meets the glass, and I haven't had any problems. I did this to my Harbor Freight Thunderbolt panels, left 2 of them outside all summer, without any issues. One panel powered an air pump for my pond, the other powered a water pump for a filter for my pond. I don't use the light, flexible panels outside because they tend to blow over during a summer storm.

When I have to house a boost convertor outside to power the air or water pump, I use only the plastic boxes with a silicone seal on them to get a good seal, and when wires come out of the box I use silicone on that too, then I put the box on a 1" high piece of wood (to keep it out of occasional water that might collect on the ground) and cover the box with a plastic bowl from the dollar tree, and put a brick on top of the bowl so it doesn't blow away.

Back