diy solar

diy solar

Fuse or Switch? What goes first?

solarrig

I have a question "what is first"?
When cable comes from the PV, should it go first to the fuse or to the main switch ?
I believe there is no big difference, but from your experience maybe there is? :)

IMG_7320 2.JPG

Fuse before the switch, also protects the switch.
Fuse after switch, allows for safer Fuse replacement.
Most pre-made combiner boxes have the Fuse first.
I would probably prefer switch first.
But, It's not a big deal either way.

By the way... how this fuse can work? My solar panels max amperage is 13.40A. Short circuit current 14A. And in the manual they say: "Maximum series fuse rating - 25A". So how these 25A can be reach, as with the short it only makes 14A?! :) And what fuse should i put there? 13.90? :D Bigger then max A, but lower than short? :) i'm lost at this moment :)

By the way... how this fuse can work? My solar panels max amperage is 13.40A. Short circuit current 14A. And in the manual they say: "Maximum series fuse rating - 25A". So how these 25A can be reach, as with the short it only makes 14A?! :) And what fuse should i put there? 13.90? :D Bigger then max A, but lower than short? :) i'm lost at this moment :)
This fuse is for protecting the panels. They have been tested to handle 25a without damage.
If you had 3 strings in parallel. And one string developed a short. The other two strings could send a combined 28a (14 + 14) . This is why you are only required to have a fuse if the rest of the circuit can exceed the panels rating. Usually it's 3 or more strings, for the requirement of a fuse per string.

This fuse is for protecting the panels. They have been tested to handle 25a without damage.
If you had 3 strings in parallel. And one string developed a short. The other two strings could send a combined 28a (14 + 14) . This is why you are only required to have a fuse if the rest of the circuit can exceed the panels rating. Usually it's 3 or more strings, for the requirement of a fuse per string.
Now it's clear !! :) thank you !

Back