diy solar

diy solar

FYI - Wholesale quote from a vendor

IslandBill

Yesterday, I inquired how to purchase panels manufactured by DAH Solar after viewing the specs on their products. Here is a sample description: https://www.dahsolarpv.com/dhn-72x16-fs-560-580w_p250.html

They claim to be the #3 top producer.

Here's the interesting part - Via an email, I was quoted the following, word for word:
Also for full screen 585w, we can put more 60 pcs into container, 680 pcs one container, save shipping cost for clients. FOB Ningbo or Shanghai price is 0.099$/w for 1 container quantity.

Now you know what wholesale is on what appear to be quality panels. Can the forum members get together to make use of this information in a massive purchase?DAH.jpeg

The problem that you will run into is that quite a few countries have import bans or massive tariffs on panels coming from China. USA is certainly off the table.

Hi Islandbill,
Always fun to look at options. I am not convinced that it would work out. With the amount of competition at the moment with solar, if there was a huge margin on a pallet of panels a current vendor would undercut it and make slightly less than that amount.

Shipping, tariffs, from destination. Logistics of unload/warehouse/forklift rental, shipping/distribution... I can be done, but shouldn't be discounted as simple. Often when I have unloaded containers, there is a very limited amount of time to do so as well. Unless you can work out a deal to buy the container as well. Which would again add cost.

If you like the idea with all of this in mind, go for it. Not looking to talk you out of it.

If you like the idea with all of this in mind, go for it. Not looking to talk you out of it.
Because of where I am, on an island in the Caribbean, it's not realistic for me to 'go for it'. Shipping, customs, customs agents, lawyers, etc make everything here, except sunshine and humidity, expensive. I normally get my freight forwarder in Florida as the middleman for anything I purchase in the US.

What I lament is the dearth of choices on panels. I keep looking for sites selling panels and they all sell the same thing. This vendor looks to represent some very good panels according to specs and they should be cost competitive with the common brands available in the US. I've checked out the big name brands and wasn't all that impressed with the spec to cost ratio, particularly the temperature coefficient on Pmax for my hot environment and the relatively low module efficiency for my limited space application.

I'm going to check out trying to get equipment from Mexico since that's where many Chinese manufacturers are building plants to get around US restrictions so they can claim NOT made in China.

Yes. I agree about the lack of choice. It was not easy to find panels that fit the specs for my controller and allow a long wire run to the array.

The challenges of island life. I know the struggle somewhat. Have spend a fair amount of time living on one, and just getting things over, and getting garbage off, etc. is a full time job.

diy solar

diy solar
Back