diy solar

diy solar

Giandel inverter fans need mounted horizontal apparently

Any name you wish

I was doing maintenance on my setup and wanted to see if I could run with the higher output into my EV so I cranked the input of the EV to 12A at 120V to see how everything would work. While investigating the system for any hiccups and such, I noted it was really quiet. Both fans on my inverter apparently retired. Researching these fans allowed me to identify them as sleeve bearing fans. Apparently sleeve bearing fans are supposed to stay horizontal. Mine were mounted vertical. I did get a good solid two years with these in the AZ outdoors. Just be aware of the mounting requirements and such. I am replacing them with dual ball bearing fans that do not care about orientation and may last longer anyways.

The ball bearing fans will also be quieter and consume less power when running. Just make sure to compare CFM for apples to apples.

The ball bearing fans will also be quieter and consume less power when running. Just make sure to compare CFM for apples to apples.
Ball bearing fans are almost always more noisy than sleeve bearings. Especially after year or two of operation. Balls roll and rattle over every nanometer imperfection in the bearing races causing noise.

For the fans I’d buy Sanyo San-Ace. These seem to come out of 10-20years old server equipment still in working condition.

Interesting part was that ball bearing fan can be damaged by rough handling making it noisy and shortening its lifetime.

Back