diy solar

diy solar

Goal zero mobile battery as "powerwall"?

highend

Hello,

I'm new in this forum and not sure if i need to post here or at the noob section.

I have 12 solar pannels woth iQ8+ Enphase system at home and no powerwall. But i have 2 goal zero 3000x's. I use them sometimes for work but most of the time they are just standing there doing nothing. I would like to use them as powerwall but i'm pretty green in the "AC coupling world" to understand how to do this properly.

The easy way for me would be to make a switch in the fuse box to switch 1 or 2 groups from "grid/solar" to a "goal zero" and back.
And connect the charger also with an relay/switch.
Those 2 switches I can connect to a raspberry with home assistant. Switching the charger on when the Enphase system is getting a lot of sun.
And switching to the goal zero output on at night when there is no sun (and no really big power usage in the house, but just to keep the lights and maybe the tv on, normally there is 200 watt on at night with some light, fridge and freezer).

In my opinion its pretty safe, home assistant can read the goal zero's battery level and switch on/off as required. Also it can read info from enphase so it can charge the goal zero with its separate charger when needed. The downside is that it creates a total separate system for the goal zero. I pull power merely from the goal zero's when they are switched on so you can't use more than 2kW at a time when they are on. Not that i mean to do that but it's not the best option i think.

I guess it would be better if i could get the goal zero's to function like a real powerwall. Like always have them connected and use them when there is power needed in the house and there is less or no sun. So not hard switching but using on demand together with Enphase or the grid.
I don't think i can ever sync the inverter from goal zero with the grid/enphase (i hope i am wrong) but I could maybe put an extra inverter on the "12v high power output port" but that would be limited to 160 watt. Could I connect an extra iQ8 as inverter to sync with the grid? Or would i reverse charge the 12v output on the goal zero probably smoking it?
I could try to DIY change the inverter of the goal zero but with my current knowledge of ac coupling i don't think thats a very good idea.

I hope to integrate these nice and safe in my home because now they are mainly eating dust....

Also the idea is that if i need them outdoor i could just unplug the goal zero's and take them with me.

Last edited:
Back