diy solar

diy solar

Good news, hopefully - US waives tariffs on Vietnam solar panels

But most if not all of us here will continue to support a nation that chooses to compete that way... If China is competing in the "wrong" way, we shouldn't buy their solar components, their electronics, and all other goods that come across the ocean. Otherwise, it's silly to say, in America we won't compete that way, and then go back to Amazon or any other fine American retailer and click "Buy it Now" on those products subsidized by exploiting humans...

The Chinese may very well be beating us at our game. They make be taking capitalism to the Nth degree.
If we eliminate China, we can't use solar unless we buy from Vietnam or Thailand who many feel will be selling rebranded solar panels.

Couple of bad choices:

1) Buy Chinese made by inhumane labor
2) Not buy at all

Honestly, which choices will your dollars make?

I haven't purchased panels, yet, but am hunting. I was waiting for the decision by the Dept of Commerce, but Biden nipped that investigation in the bud. For panel alternatives, consider Crossroads Solar (US manufactured with some foreign material), Heliene Solar Panels made in USA and Canada. I'm also considering Hyundai panels made in Korea, but the only Hyundai I found in my budget are used panels.

One article I spied a week ago said something like 2/3 or more of panels imported last year were from the 4 SE Asia countries under investigation. It was even worse in the first quarter of this year, where 99% of imported panels were from the 4 SE Asia nations.

Crossroads Solar is the one that complained about solar panel frame material seeing a 25% tariff from China, while SE Asia nations can import entire solar panels with zero American input for low to no tariff. I'm all for the free market working, but how the hell is that even fair? On top of that Crossroads Solar employs formerly incarcerated individuals, trying to integrate them into society. It surely doesn't fit into the narrative of sink-or-swim many will promote, but can we not place some value on a company's great efforts.

Battery wise, I'm testing reject EV cells from Ford. They are LG cells, made in USA. If testing works out, I plan to build at least 30-35 kWh powerwall. Lifepo4 cells from Docan or China are so tempting, but I also value recycling whenever feasible.

Back