diy solar

diy solar

Greeting from the Florida Panhandle

PanhandleRunner

Very new to all things solar, but doing my best to get educated. Since my retirement I try to learn new things. Since I returned home to Florida after military and corporate careers, I’ve decided to start with an emergency system to augment my generator WHEN (not IF!) the next hurricane hits. So, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered an MPP 27/24 system to run the fridge and lower wattage items during power outages. I think I’ve watched most of Will’s vids, and have learned a lot, but I know there is much more to learn! Cheers!

COOL! Thanks for serving our country sir!

Well, welcome, lots of great resources of information here...

Welcome & thanks for your Service. I'm in FLL area and built a RVan during covid - you will find all the expertise you need on here - great group!

What are the permitting processes in your area? That is something in my area keeping me from building something similar.

There's been a couple of posts from people in Florida who had grid-tied solar installed and when the hurricanes hit, were surprised their system did not provide power. You seem to be on the right track.

I live in FL and built a system with a 6.7kwh, 24v LFP battery, 1,000 watts of solar panels, 1,500 watt PSW inverter. Nothing is mounted. All has extra protection and stored away. The idea is to allow for lights, refrigerator, fans, etc. When power goes down. A generator can be run as/if needed (as long as fuel supply lasts). I lived through Andrew in 1992 and there was no roof after so don't think roof mounted panels will help after a storm. Generators are great, but fuel can be impossible to get just before a storm and for days/weeks after. You may not have any working vehicles after the storm to go get more gas. You don't want to run a generator after dark. 1) it might keep neighbors awake 2) it might get stolen. High quality extension cords may not be the neatest way to run power around after a storm, but your wiring might be compromised depending on how much damage you have. Don't ask me how I know.

I live in FL and built a system with a 6.7kwh, 24v LFP battery, 1,000 watts of solar panels, 1,500 watt PSW inverter. Nothing is mounted. All has extra protection and stored away. The idea is to allow for lights, refrigerator, fans, etc. When power goes down. A generator can be run as/if needed (as long as fuel supply lasts). I lived through Andrew in 1992 and there was no roof after so don't think roof mounted panels will help after a storm. Generators are great, but fuel can be impossible to get just before a storm and for days/weeks after. You may not have any working vehicles after the storm to go get more gas. You don't want to run a generator after dark. 1) it might keep neighbors awake 2) it might get stolen. High quality extension cords may not be the neatest way to run power around after a storm, but your wiring might be compromised depending on how much damage you have. Don't ask me how I know.
Hi Bolo, all great points, and the very reason I’m building a backup system. My wife questioned the expense since we have a 7.5kw dual fuel generator, and I reminded her that after Sally 2 years ago all the gas stations within 5 miles of us had no power to pump or run electronic cash registers. Took her 30 seconds to get on board! Since I’ve started and have told several neighbors and friends what I’m doing, and we’re all waiting for panels to come in to finalize the build. I’m also looking at building a reinforced storage locker for the panels in case the shed goes. As I age, the heat and humidity get a little more unbearable each year, so I want to make sure we’re able to sustain ourselves and risk as little health impact as possible.

Very new to all things solar, but doing my best to get educated. Since my retirement I try to learn new things. Since I returned home to Florida after military and corporate careers, I’ve decided to start with an emergency system to augment my generator WHEN (not IF!) the next hurricane hits. So, I’ve bitten the bullet and ordered an MPP 27/24 system to run the fridge and lower wattage items during power outages. I think I’ve watched most of Will’s vids, and have learned a lot, but I know there is much more to learn! Cheers!
Going through the same thing on the east coast. With FL cluster f... of a set of insurance laws, ya don't dare do grid tie on your roof! Good luck, and cheers!

Going through the same thing on the east coast. With FL cluster f... of a set of insurance laws, ya don't dare do grid tie on your roof! Good luck, and cheers!
If it is on your house's roof in Florida it must be grid tied. Florida Power & Light is very unfriendly to solar. They just announced they were reducing the rate they would pay for power you send back to the grid. If you generate all the power you use, you will still get a $30 connection bill. They don't like competition or non-paying customers.

I’m in Charlotte, what’s left of IAN is dribbling all over us… power blipped out for a bit last night, but no issues other than moisture here.
It is cool having battery power to flip on when issues arise ain’t it?

Welcome! My system has the exact same purpose. Since you already have the generator you should focus more on the battery storage than the solar panels. During hurricanes its cloudy anyway.

I repurpose the 48V battery bank in my golf cart so have a self-propelled power plant. My inverter output back-feeds my breaker panel. I can drive next door to my moms and recharge off her whole-house generator.

Attachments

• Houston snow.jpg
    Houston snow.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Generator Install.jpg
    Generator Install.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 5
Well, getting a chance to use my system thanks to hurricane Ian. Working well. While there are generators running all over the place, mine is still tucked in the garage in case we have a bunch of cloudy days. Who knows when power will come back on.
It’s of wind damage in your area? What’s the area look like? Well wishes from overseas

It’s of wind damage in your area? What’s the area look like? Well wishes from overseas
Not much wind damage. Flooding is the biggest issue. I am OK, but 2/3 of the county was without power. Just got it back. The wife was very happy we could cook, she could make coffee, protein shakes, etc. No more funny remarks a out my science experiment.

Back