diy solar

diy solar

Grid Tied Breaker Sharing?

Casper042

So this may be genius or completely crazy, not sure as I'm somewhat new.

I already have Solar from a Solar Lease I somewhat inherited (had to take over lease to buy this house).
But I would like to add more as I still have a decent power bill from the grid.

Also, I have a 200A main panel that I don't want to upgrade/change at the moment because 400A panels (what my sparky says I should be at for a house my size) are just stupid expensive and some models have huge wait times.

So this combo means I don't have much room if I am to follow the 20% oversize rule on the Main Panel Bus Bar.
I think the existing solar is around 7-8KW which is 30A out of my potential 40A oversize.

So here comes the crazy idea.
Get an All-in-one similar to the EG4 6500EX
Mount it near my outside AC Compressor
Run the LOAD to the AC Compressor
Run the Grid Tie using the cables that used to go to the AC Compressor
Run a string of additional panels on the patio roof which is right above this area.
Optionally, look into batteries as well.

The idea being that there would be 3 modes selected somewhat dynamically.
1) Solar PV Input but zero load from the AC = Solar power back feeds into main panel and offsets my power bill.
Already have solar so proper metering and such is in place already.
Would set a max backfeed to grid rate to match the derated breaker size on the main panel (24A @ 240).
20% rule not impacted since this breaker is already accounted for as part of my overall bus bar load.

2) Solar PV Input WITH load from the AC = SolarPV/Grid mix in the 6500EX to power the AC Compressor.
Assuming the 6500EX or similar can handle it, this should simply reduce the strain on my grid power, no impact on 20% rule.
I would also add a Soft Start to the AC Compressor to reduce the startup strain.

3) No Solar PV (Evenings) WITH load from the AC = 6500EX/similar simply runs in bypass mode and pulls the needed power from the Grid via existing cabling back to main panel.
This is effectively how it works today, so should be no impact again to the Main panel and 20% rule.

The only thing I don't know is does a 6500EX (or again similar) support Split Phase 240 from a single unit, or do you end up needing 2 units with the little cable I see on some installs to keep them out of phase with each other.
The AC Compressor I think (need to double check) has a 30A 240V Split breaker currently.

For the panels themselves, I would likely start as buying used panels to keep the cost down.

I did see in a video somewhere I might need to add a backfeed protection kit to the 30A 240 Breaker, in order to make sure it's not accidental removed while backfeed is live and also cover the screws again to prevent shock.
Would also add labels to it to indicate it's got backfed solar as well.

The idea being other than the cost of the All-in-one, and used panels, I wouldn't need to spend almost any money on Panel changes/upgrades and a negligible amount on wiring as well.

Feedback?

20% rule not impacted since this breaker is already accounted for as part of my overall bus bar load.
This is not correct. The 120% rule applies to power sources, load breakers are not already counted in the 120% calculation.

This breaker may or may not fit within 120%, I didn't try to do that math, but just pointing out the logic.

This is not correct. The 120% rule applies to power sources, load breakers are not already counted in the 120% calculation.

This breaker may or may not fit within 120%, I didn't try to do that math, but just pointing out the logic.
So even though that additional XX amps of Solar backfeed would mean my load from the Grid is LIKELY XX amps less, it doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be and I could fire up every appliance in the house and get 200A from the Grid, 33A from Solar Lease AND XX additional amps from this new solar string, thus putting me over 240?

Just trying to make sure I understand the issue fully.

So even though that additional XX amps of Solar backfeed would mean my load from the Grid is LIKELY XX amps less, it doesn't mean it's guaranteed to be and I could fire up every appliance in the house and get 200A from the Grid, 33A from Solar Lease AND XX additional amps from this new solar string, thus putting me over 240?

Just trying to make sure I understand the issue fully.
Exactly.

Shucks ok, so I can do this to make the wiring easier potentially for the new string, but I would still need to get a smaller Mains Breaker to step down from 200A to 175 or something to prevent Bus Bar overload.
That or just find a 400A w/ Meter Socket that isn't $3000 right now.

Thanks all, consider this closed unless you have any advice on the 6500EX question.
Can it do 240 Split from a single unit or you need 2?

Does someone make a Single Unit that can for around the same price point?

Your idea is interesting and probably would work, however, there are few issues mentioned above that are not quite accurate and potentially dangerous.
1) The Existing Grid-Tie solar doesn't care which breaker its on or if there are loads attached directly to that branch breaker rather then having to travel all the way back to the main bus then out to the loads . The NEC on the other hand does care. Lets say the A/C compressor is running with the inverter in pass-thru mode. The compressor locks up or the capacitor fails now you are drawing LRA but instead of the circuit being fully protected by the breaker you have a second source of power feeding the same wiring that is not sized properly.

2) AC running = Solar PV/Grid mix. NO, the 6500EX is an off-grid inverter with the ability to EITHER use solar/battery OR Utility. It is not a grid interactive inverter. For this you would have to get a more expensive UL1741SB compliant model. Schneider, Sol-Ark, Outback.

3) The 6500EX is not split phase 240V. The 6000 is I believe. Absolutely would recommend a soft starter.

Back