diy solar

diy solar

Ground Mounts that Don't Need Permits and Other Design Considerations

Ellis Redding

Thinking of how to create panel mounts that fulfill the following:
1. Are not permanent. Sitting on or easily detatched from a concrete pad in the ground is ok.
2. Can be somewhat easily laid flat for transport
3. Are probably PT wood as it's like 1/10th the price

Bonus Points for having adjustable angles.

Thinking of how to create panel mounts that fulfill the following:
1. Are not permanent. Sitting on or easily detatched from a concrete pad in the ground is ok.
2. Can be somewhat easily laid flat for transport
3. Are probably PT wood as it's like 1/10th the price

Bonus Points for having adjustable angles.
Are we talking about the USofA, State?

Do you have a saw and a screw gun? What size panels? I can get 2 panels mounted on a scrounged pallet for the cost of screws. If you add a couple 2x4s or pieces of other pallets - bam - adjustable angles. Secure against wind with sandbags.

The only pther thing I would add is the wind factor. If you think you can get accurate weather reports of wind velocity and lay them flat before a big wind comes then you would be okay. If not then some form of ballast mount be necessary.

Following to hear good ideas
————-
After two years I have nothing I have found to work practical for my 9 portable panels for what you’re asking.

I’m not a fan of the sandbag method. I’ve filled plenty and have found them to wet rot in wet climates in months or less and dry rot in deserts in longer times.

I have 900 watts of portable panels I set up for extra power. Takes me 30 minutes to an hour. Those can blow away I the wind.

I’ve come up with no real method I would want to use keep them from blowing away in the wind that is not permanent. I could rig something with cables and 18 sandbags, but I’m not digging 18 sandbags to secure my 9 panels moving them 3 times a day into the sun along with the sandbags for a three day trip.

Roof Slide outs was the closest to an answer, but the cost for the ones I found were $600 per 100 watt panel. I have 2200 watts of panels. That would be 11 x 600 and I don’t want to be the first kid on the block to try it.

The only pther thing I would add is the wind factor. If you think you can get accurate weather reports of wind velocity and lay them flat before a big wind comes then you would be okay. If not then some form of ballast mount be necessary.
I’ve tried the weather report in the Phoenix valley where I think there’s hundreds of weather stations, and that didn’t work. I laid my panels flat. I also locked with a cable my panels up, and the next day the panels were at the end of the cable blown there and damaged, even after laid flat the night before. Nothing a rivet gun and hinges can’t fix.

The wind factor you mentioned would make me stow my slidable panels anytime I walked away.

This thread kind of strikes a cord with me.
I like screw-in doggy tiedown stakes for stability - work in regular soil but Arizona ground? NotSoMuch https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Stake-And-Leashes-Collection/dp/B01H2I1E0M/
That is my Arizona experience also. Seems like a good idea until the soil is as hard as cement and you need to dig holes to put the screws in. 18 times.

Yeah, I busted one in Gold basin
Only been out there once. The Bahde claims. I think most of the desert southwest has that rock hard ground until the monsoon and then you can sink in.

First place I ever saw quicksand was the Arizona desert. Blew my mind. The big rivers that flow once a year and the giant puddles on the bends take months to dry up and as you walk to the edge of the puddle, you start to sink.

My movable mount for 2 panels.
I built it for two reasons. First to find the best winter location and secondly to "loophole" the need to get a permit for a new ground mount.
My original ground mount was built before there was a code and is grandfathered in.
I get bonus points for being able to adjust the panel tilt.

Creative use of hinges
frame-open.jpg

frame-closed.jpg

Only been out there once. The Bahde claims. I think most of the desert southwest has that rock hard ground until the monsoon and then you can sink in.

First place I ever saw quicksand was the Arizona desert. Blew my mind. The big rivers that flow once a year and the giant puddles on the bends take months to dry up and as you walk to the edge of the puddle, you start to sink.
Search for "Ground Anchor Screw" to find lots of options. ?‍♂️
ground screw anchor.JPG

Search for "Ground Anchor Screw" to find lots of options. ?‍♂️
View attachment 85770
I’m in this thread to learn. To me, if that is a “ground Anchor Screw” it looks like a permanent installation.

What I’m looking for could be different from the OP. I want something I can set up for a three day two night camping trip, and still have time to enjoy myself.

My movable mount for 2 panels.
I built it for two reasons. First to find the best winter location and secondly to "loophole" the need to get a permit for a new ground mount.
My original ground mount was built before there was a code and is grandfathered in.
I get bonus points for being able to adjust the panel tilt.

Creative use of hinges
View attachment 85752

View attachment 85753

Love that it's foldable! (y)

Are we talking about the USofA, State?

Do you have a saw and a screw gun? What size panels? I can get 2 panels mounted on a scrounged pallet for the cost of screws. If you add a couple 2x4s or pieces of other pallets - bam - adjustable angles. Secure against wind with sandbags.
I'm in the Charlotte, NC area.

I'll throw out some ideas and you all can laugh.

If you already need water storage, solar panels could mounted on top of some "IBC totes" that are used to transport liquids. Filled with water those won't move. Not for everyone.

I have a long (12ft) pallet for some reason, and it would be perfect for four 60 cell panels to all be at the same angle. Those panels are 42lbs each plus the weight of the pallet so I don't think that would be a problem. I assume those long pallets would be available elsewhere.

Aluminum extrusion can be affordable if you find offcuts of the right size or someone getting rid of used stuff. And can be reused many times. Hardware to attach can be expensive, but places like misumi have pre-made hinges and plates to build things. You can get large packs of angle brackets on ebay, etc. Could be some weight savings here if needed.

Unistrut is the steel version of extrusion and similar in that you could reuse it later.

Here is an odd idea I've never seen done, but what about pallet racking like you see in big box stores? One single piece of the upright sections placed at an angle could be 3-4ft wide and 8-20ft long... and they can be cheap. Maybe need some prep work as those aren't usually outside.

I have a few panels I just lay on the ground. One gets blown over from time to time but the others don't. I put mulch around them to keep the weeds down and the micros are mount to the panel with a 240VAC line cord that plugs into a 240 outlet so they are temporary and can be unplugged at any time and carried away. ;)

Easier to clear snow off of them then my pergola also....

I live on top of a hill so they are on southerly facing side thus have some tilt but being the sun in the summer is more north over them I am not sure it matters that much throughout the whole years production.

$50 bottom mount drawer slides will allow you to mount them to a roof and pull them in or out as needed if you're looking for an RV solution.

Back