diy solar

diy solar

Growatt AIO and SCC NOT Solar Charging

MrM1

I'm Here, But I'm Not All There
I have purchased a Growatt SPF 12kW 250v DVM MPV and an extra external SCC, the Growatt SC48120-MPV. Both are rated for 60-245vdc input from the solar array.

Today I powered up the whole system (12kW, SCC and a small test Solar Array) for the first time. Everything seemed to work Fine at first.

I was using 2 360 watt, 47.46vdc voc solar panels for testing. Using Anderson Connectors, I can hot swap beteen all 4 PV inputs on both the SCC and the AIO Inverter
So far so good. I was getting a fucuating votage of about 59-68vdc from the small test array. Sun was out, and it was solar noon. No Clouds.

Problem started in the AIO, it would show charging amps and 550+ watts coming in, but after a few minutes, it would stop. And the volts would read 80v (odd) but the watts were 3 and the charge amps were 0. This was happening on PV1 and PV1. If I restarted the inverter things worked for a few minutes again. I thought, OK maybe a bad SCC board in the AIO.

But Using the same array for the SCC, at first I thought it was working ok, but even though it took longer, it would drop out too and stop charging. Difference was, it would read 52v dc input.

So what is going on? What am I missing? Is there a setting I have missed?
- I have the SCC and the AIO Main DC inputs connected via a common busbar going to and from the battery (+) and (-)
- I am set to "USER" battery type
- Solar Priority (but I tried all settings)
- CV charge is set to 56.4v and the batteries are at 53v
- Float is set to 54.4v

Both the SCC and the AIO have a minium DC input of 60v

I called Signature Solar and they thought it might be the DC input voltage as the volts were fluctuating around the 60vdc point. So I placed in series with the 2 solar panels a 30v power supply. This got the input voltage up to 110vdc input, but both systems would work for a few minutes and they stop sending watts and amps to the batteries. (NOTE: both the SCC and the AIOs "charging" light is flashing indicating charging is occuring.)

So I am not sure what to is going on? I have 2 more solar panels I am picking up this afternoon. This will get the voltage up over 120vdc continiously. So if its not input voltage, what else could it be?

Last edited:
This is how the electrical is wire now. The combiner and full array will be like this later once installed.

Final Wire Oct 2022.PNG

I tested with 4 panels and DC input voltage that ranged from 172vdc (morning) to 135vdc (full sun) and both the Growatt SPF 12kW 250v DVM MPV and the Growatt SC48120-MPV seemed to work fine.

So it seems the minimum 60v DC input is too low for these units

Back