diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 5000 ES short circuit and replacement inverter suggestions (UK)

cjdell

If nothing else this post can serve as another data point as why not to buy another Growatt inverter, in particular the SPF 5000 ES...
For seemingly no reason my JK BMS triggered the short circuit protection alarm but the inverter seemed OK other than the fact that it had switched from battery to AC/PV only and there was no magic smoke. Originally I thought my BMS was on the brink as I've had other issues with it which I wrote about here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/j...t-sensor-faulty-for-48v-inverter-setup.75357/

So I disconnected my LiFePO4 pack and attempted to power the inverter directly from my 52V e-bike battery just as a test using a 10A fuse as a precaution. With no additional input power the inverter powered up, display lit up, then 10 seconds later (around the point where it would start AC output) the screen goes black...

The inverter would stay this way until I disconnected the battery and reconnected so it seems like an e-fuse inside the inverter needed resetting perhaps. But it does suggest there is a problem with the inverter. I'm guessing perhaps one or more of the MOSFETs on the battery input stage has gone into short circuit. Inverter wasn't under any significant load at the time.

I will try to RMA the inverter (if there is any hope of that). This is a DIY job so they might not consider my warranty valid. But I've already decided that I want to replace it with something not made by Growatt...

I'm based in the UK and have permission to export so I'm thinking of getting the Sunsynk which can supposedly do everything the Growatt could do and more (Growatt couldn't export). In particular I need:
  • Timed charging of the battery from AC to take advantage of cheap nighttime electricity.
  • Emergency power when the grid fails.
  • At least 5kW output. I very rarely go over this but I want passthrough to kick in when I do. If mixed grid-tie/off-grid I guess this wouldn't matter.
  • Preferrably not having to split my consumer unit up into critical and non-critical loads. Already have an ATS so maybe can use that?
  • Support 3kWp of solar with 400V open circuit voltage.
  • Ability to program i.e. I was able to control the Growatt via RS485-to-Ethernet adapter and change charging schedules and rates etc.
  • Extract power data so I can pass on to Home Assistant (again Growatt could do this but it was a faff to setup).
  • Still have the warranty valid on a self-install.
SunSynk seems like a popular choice and very affordable so interested in people's thoughts:

Still going to see if I can repair the Growatt. If not is there any hope I can find a reasonably priced repair shop in the UK or should I just take a chance and replace the MOSFETs myself? I'd rather not have to scrape it...

Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a problem.
I'm not in the UK, so I don't know any repair shops. But possibly any electronics repair shop might be willing to help.
As far as Sunsynk goes. They offer the Deye inverters. Which are well known for their robustness and reliability. So, it would definitely be a good choice.
I'm still happy with my Growatt's. But, Deye would be my second choice. I chose Growatt for the price and features. It does everything that I needed.
If you go with Sunsynk (Deye), I have no doubt that you will be satisfied with it.

Thinking of getting a Sunsynk but just looked at their warranty page (because I do not want a product that I can't ever claim on the warranty) and they ask if the unit has been installed by a qualified engineer. Is there anyway around this sort of thing?

Curious how DIYers are approaching the warranty problem on expensive equipment. Are there DIY friendly suppliers available?

Last edited:
No direct anti-DIY language in there. Looks good. Thanks.

Where did you source your Deye inverters from?

By the way, saw your video on exploding inverters. That's scary... It's good you didn't give into the sunk cost fallacy and decided to replace the lot of them. The Deye's look like they are built to a far better standard.

Growatt inverters are positively dangerous and potentially a fire hazard. Stay away!

Last edited:
Growatt inverters are positively dangerous and potentially a fire hazard. Stay away
That's a pretty bold blanket statement, without any evidence to it.
There are hundreds of thousands of units functioning perfectly fine.
There isn't a single manufacturer that has a perfect record.

That's a pretty bold blanket statement, without any evidence to it.
There are hundreds of thousands of units functioning perfectly fine.
There isn't a single manufacturer that has a perfect record.
Fair enough but if my MOSFETs have gone into short circuit and others are reporting the same as well as huge sparks then it seems pretty dangerous to me. Enough to stay away from.

Would be scary if my BMS hadn't quickly detected the short circuit and cut power.

Now thinking of getting the Solis S5-EH1P3.6K-L as there's a great deal on a 2nd hand inverter on eBay. I don't mind not having a warranty if it's cheap. 3.6kW is actually fine since I rarely go over that.

Only thing is the seller doesn't think he can provide the original connectors so I might have to buy some. Does anyone know what the AC and DC connectors on this picture are called?

For seemingly no reason my JK BMS triggered the short circuit protection alarm but the inverter seemed OK other than the fact that it had switched from battery to AC/PV only and there was no magic smoke.
I just had my growatt SPF 3500 do the same fault 19 (no battery) and short circuit protection in bms, well looking back in the growatt app the battery stopped reporting voltage about 6 days ago just past midnight.

I checked the batteries today and found both jkbms batteries were triggering short circuit protection.
The inverter reported no battery voltage and battery cables going to inverter were moving on each try of the bms's.
I isolated inverter from the battery and the bms's were happy, the inverter still reported fault 19 and no voltage as no battery was connected but I can remember my inverter always displayed battery voltage without a battery when I first got it.
Not sure if it's worth mentioning but It passed 1MW of production recently too.

Back